[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - voltage reg frying with shared supply-(L.Banki 3pwm)

voltage reg frying with shared supply-(L.Banki 3pwm)

Here we will discuss many topics on electronic designs and circuits for various functions. PIC Chip programming has enormous potential in so many applications, that will be included in this forum as well.

voltage reg frying with shared supply-(L.Banki 3pwm)

Postby dalanw » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:28 am

hi,haven't had chance to spend proper time on here since moving house etc. but started gettting into things again now.I've built a Les Banki 3pwm circuit and while i was waiting for my toroid core to arrive decided to use the circuit to pulse direct battery power,which it does no probs while i use a seperate 12v power supply to the circuit but ideally i want to use the one supply from the car when i fit it.When i try using the one supply the 10v vr fries.Sure it's something basic i'm missing but anyone familiar with this circuit might know the answer otherwise i will use it with a motorbike battery just running the pulsing side of things and the cell supply from the car battery,but will be a pain having to charge the m/b battery seperately with it being isolated. BTW i've got my t650-52 core but first attempt to wind it was unsuccesful--more to it than i'd realised but i'm learning as i go.Dave.
dalanw
Regular Poster

10 Volt Regulator?

Postby SeaMonkey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Would you be referring to a 3 terminal voltage regulator which is providing a 10 Volt regulated output from a 12 Volt input?

Could you provide a link to the circuit?
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby dalanw » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 pm

dalanw
Regular Poster

Les Banki's Circuit

Postby SeaMonkey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:52 am

Les's circuit is ingenious. A circuit which will generate the 3 pulsing frequencies that Bob Boyce has utilized successfully with the added enhancement of being able to adjust the phase relationships with great latitude.

He's using the 8 Volt regulator to enhance the stability of the SG3525 PWM chips and the CMOS chips as they produce the 3 harmonically related pulse frequencies for maximum accuracy and minimum jitter.

If you're using a 10 Volt regulator in its place it may be failing due to lack of "overhead" in the supply voltage. Analog Voltage Regulators, unless they're the Low Drop Out variety, require an input voltage that is a minimum of 3 Volts greater than the Regulated Output Voltage.

As long as the Input Voltage is 13 or more Volts it will work well. Once the Input Voltage drops to less than 13 Volts the Regulator will be subject to Drop Out or loss of regulation. This should not result in damage to the Regulator since they have protection circuits built in, but it may as the Regulator loses its ability to function normally.

All of the chips in the circuit will operate at up to 15 Volts; so long as the input doesn't go above that the Regulator isn't absolutely necessary. The circuit will function but will lack the precision and stability afforded by the 8 Volt Regulator.

If you don't have an 8 Volt regulator you may use a 7805 configured as an Adjustable Regulator. Do a search for "7805 circuits" to find an example.

You'll be able to make an Adjustable Regulator which will enable setting the Regulated Output Voltage from 5 Volts to about 3 Volts less than the Input Voltage which should be no more than 20 Volts.

Let us know how your experiments progress.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby dalanw » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 pm

dalanw
Regular Poster

Postby dalanw » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 am

dalanw
Regular Poster

Diagram possible?

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:42 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster