[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - My new pulser/pulse-charger.

My new pulser/pulse-charger.

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Postby mael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm

I sometimes see myself as a 'doctor' working in a (battery) 'hospital.' (Got stethescope 'n all). :shock:

Other times I see what I'm doing is like a farmer harvesting the ripe fruit when it's ready. "That's right girl ... another day or two and you'll be ready for f ... plucking."

Reminiscing on days gone by I can see I was sometimes more akin to the commander in Guantanamo prison camp. Anyway from the suffering and torment of a few tortured and murdered patients a lot more are going to be all right. :P

And I was reminded tonight that there are certainly many ways to skin this cat. The most peaceful way to deal with sulphation is to simply leave a batt (with no shorts) on a float charge for a 'certain' length of time.

That's it! If you have just one battery you would like to fix and do not wish to get into the messy and complicated business of speeding the process up, then just get a cheapo charger and use a 3 W (or so) bulb in series with the leads so that the V is somewhere near the middle mark between 13.1 & 13.6 V range and just leave it! Of course check the electrolyte every now and then. After a week or so it would be safe to add distilled water so the levels were just about at the max mark.

* The electrolyte expands by a surprising amount, and a discharged battery with electrolyte levels at the low mark could possibly rise to the high mark once it is charged and the sulphation is cleared. - This is why those in the know will tell you to add the distilled water only after it has been charged/pulsed. Normally the difference is levels isn't so dramatic. But it wold be unwise to fill the cells to the max on commencement of pulsing/charging. So just make sure the plates are covered and add water when the sulphation/state of charge is approaching servicable.

:arrow: I've created a problem with my newest charger as I have now set a new benchmark and standard for what pulsers ought to be. My other pulsers all work. But their performance is not a patch on the one I have just built.

The two pulsers I have which are the most effective are the two which pulse the highest current. Those two are good for all batteries. The others I have are capable of doing the larger ones but take much longer and are ideal for motorcycle batteries up to (I'd say) 14 a/h. But as I have repeated ad nauseum they will all do the job and it's just a matter of the time it takes.

:arrow: And I was idly thinking and I believe if one has a 2 A charger, three sulphated batteries and a relay connected to a timer (like AlaskaStar's suggestion of a flasher), you could fix all those batteries in a matter of weeks or months.

Charge them up the best they'll be and then use two to get qa nominal 24 V and pulse this in a short pulse into the third. Just switch them around and all the time the one being pulsed will be gradually coming back to life.

not only this but as they get stronger they'll most likely desulphate more quickly as the process is undertaken.

:arrow: One thing I have observed is that desulphating in the manner I have described I do it is a process which seems to get faster as desulphation nears completion.

I have read on the internet from countless sources how people acting as experts state how, in various words, that desulphating gets slower towards the end as those sulphates are harder than the rest. I do not concur and based on my experience thus far it seems more as if the sulphate crystals are 'softened-up' over time and the last little bit is somewhat enjoyable as, in the last day or so of pulsing, you can see all those cells lining-up at the 1260 mark! :D :D :D

Maybe I'll have to correct myself on this matter? But as far as I know there are only three types of sulphation:- the overnight variety which vanishes like Scotch mist. the petulant type which is rid after a good crank. :oops: And the genuine article which is of a fairly uniform state within each battery-type, which is dealt with by treating it like a castle you want to destroy when all you have is an unlimited supply of rocks and a few catapaults. Hit enough times the walls will crumble. Then don't stop there! Get on top of the remains and keep smashing the blocks into dust.

(I'm tired).
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:47 pm

What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:54 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Re: Well done!

Postby mael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:08 pm

I am on the third battery with the new pulser.

The first was a 95 A/h, the second an 85 A/h, and the one I hooked-up three hours ago is about the same size as the first two, but it only has 'D26R' stamped on it. I suppose I could check, but it's probably between 75 & 90 A/h.

The first battery was done in four days. I wasn't pushing it.

The second was done in two. I just nudged it up a bit.

This one is just started but I'm pushing the pulser to perhaps 75% of its capacity. The heatsinks for the MOSFETS is around 44 C. The transformer is about 40 C. I have a sturdy square-based heatsink on top of the transformer. It has fins sticking upwards and came from a computer. I have a computer fan fitted on top of the heatsink blowing the air upwards. - The coils of the transformer are about 50 C.

The smaller pulsers I have working do a 17 - 20 A/h battery in daaaaaays. My new and more powerful pulser does the same job on a 95 A/h battery in far less time!

- So I'm going to basically make a similar model to the one I have just put into service, but with slightly higher current and voltage. I might even try to make it look pretty and refine the pulse-source.

I went through maybe ten circuit boards I have picked up over time from dumps and have found a lot of useful looking parts. The best bit was I found two MOSFETS which are good for at least 60 A.

With four pulsers running two being rather slow), it looks like I should be able to get two batteries in good order every day. This is interesting for me as I would really like to be busy fixing batteries for cash. So it seems if I have a few more machines I'd be able to pay the bills if I was working at capacity. Nice dreams. Then with some money I can upgrade my stuff and with better equipment I should be able to do a better job. - And hopefull it will help finance my other experiments.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Please excuse the typos. I wish I could correct them.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:40 pm

what are the size of the caps you have on your pulsers?

just wondering

please PM me

thanks mael
all work and no play.....
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby SeaMonkey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Mael,

Do you have a convenient source for the higher powered MosFets you'd like to obtain? Or, could you use some help in getting some?

Most of the battery shops locally recommend not more than 100 amperes of charging current for an automobile sized battery, and for only a short time at that. So when translated to pulsing duty cycle that would probably bring it up to nearer 200 amperes per pulse, with the average power not more than about 50 watts.

The periodic 'discharge pulses' that you've mentioned are very beneficial; some chargers are made to do that automatically every few minutes for a very brief high current (short circuit) 'burp.'

The experts say that those 'burps' will prevent the battery from growing 'dendrites' from plate to plate, much the same as the dendrites that Ni-Cad batteries are famous for.

The high current short circuit pulse is most concentrated at those points where the dendrites may be forming and will 'blast' them clear, thereby preventing the formation of a shorted cell.

I've acquired two high current transformers to serve as power supplies for some new desulfator pulsers capable of those 100 Ampere pulses. I've gotten some surplus Computer Grade low voltage Electrolytic Capacitors to use as Energy Reservoirs (300,000 microFarads or more total) at about 25 to 30 Volts DC. Then I'll go talk to a couple of nearby battery shops to haggle some duds for restoration. Who knows what will then transpire?

You're absolutely right Mael, the satisfaction of successful rejuvenation is a very pleasant 'high.' And yes, it does indeed stimulate that desire to push things to their limits to see how much better the process can be made!

Let us know if you need any assistance in acquiring parts!
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:52 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:06 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:24 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:26 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 pm

mael
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Conventional Project Discussions