Solar Cell setup

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Re: Solar Cell setup

Postby Jehu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am

Bit of a necro thread but I totally forgot about this idea. I had a go at this years ago and yeah, it's surprising how much you can get from these things. I tried with a 30mW 532nm (green) laser shone right on the die and I think I got about 3A from it. Was years ago and I could be wrong on the exact amount but I know it does work. I should try it with some of the Fresnel lenses I have. Maybe not the 1.2m X 0.9m one I have. That would just fry it
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Oliveber » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 am

Tried it again at 3 oclock, no clouds pretty strong sun ..
Oliveber

Postby herman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Just a thought and I might have to play with this as I dont have much to work with but has anyone ever used an old car regulator to regulate a solar cell and what other types of diodes can be used?i have a big panel with no regulator.Puts out 17 volts at 8 amps.Cooks batteries at that out put so I usually wait for cloudier days when it goes lower in volts.As I understand it I need to have a diode to keep from higher volts on the battery at night cooking the cells.Any input appreciated as i live way out in the bush in British columbia and the solar panle has sved me a few times when the batteries went dead on my truck from sitting to long between supply runs.
Andre
herman

Previous

Return to Solar, Wind & Off-Grid Projects