[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Chris's Version 6 Electrolyzer

Chris's Version 6 Electrolyzer

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Chris's Version 6 Electrolyzer

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:58 am

Hi guys,

Yes I'm on my 6th version now and extremely happy with this Brute Force Electrolyzer design! I believe I'm closer to my goals now then I have ever been before! People got mad at me last year saying things to the effect of: “WTF Chris... why are you changing designs so fast when you haven't even fully tested this one? How efficient is this design?” Well I changed designs without even bothering to test efficiency because I realized there was a better way to design the unit. Performing efficiency tests was just going to be a waste of time since efficiency would be the same no matter what the container was.

I am always building my designs with several things in mind:
1. Efficiency (maximum gas output with minimum wattage)
2. Safety (obvious need when dealing with a highly combustible gas)
3. Feasibility (how well will the unit work in various applications such as cars, trucks, stationary generators)
4. Reproducibility (how easily can others duplicate what I’ve done and achieve similar results)

I'm trying to score HIGH in all of these categories, so if I change as soon as I start building something... it's because I immediately see that the design is lacking in one or more of these areas. Often it's in the Safety or Feasibility categories.

Efficiency is easy for the most part. I have said for years now that when you're talking about Brute Force Electrolysis, your efficiency is going to be similar no matter what your container is. If you have two identical electrode assemblies (plates or pipes) sitting in a 55 gallon drum or in a custom made polycarbonate box... it's not going to matter much at all for efficiency. The electrode assembly is determining your efficiency for the most part. The container does however play a HUGE role in the Safety, Feasibility & Reproducibility of a design. But when it comes to the efficiency of Brute Force Electrolysis all that the container can really do is help with heat transfer and electrolyte circulation.

You may recall my projects long ago switched to my alternating plate assembly in fully submerged cells. It's because I recognized the many advantages to this assembly design. I have kept with that basic plate assembly design ever since. Most all of my changes have centered on the container because of Safety & Feasibility issues.

So where am I today? Well this latest Version 6 Electrolyzer makes quantum leaps in all of my design goals accept for Reproducibility. In striving to achieve high marks across the board I have been forced to let this one slide. That is NOT to say that others can’t reproduce my design… it’s just going to be more challenging for them. I would also like to note that I did NOT do this on purpose… Reproducibility is just an unfortunate “victim” in this case.

I will add to this thread as the project progresses and I will answer all questions here. So let me know what you think guys :)
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby catfish » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:43 am

Hi Chris

How much gas can you make in one minute with the V6?

I am part of a team developing on-demand electrolysis machines. The most recent produces about 1.5 litres a minute drawing 15 amps.
The Holy Roman Empire stole my pyramid battery
catfish

Postby needanswer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:24 pm

needanswer
Regular Poster

Postby Etownlax » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi,
I'm new here and I have a few quick questions...

1) I've seen people, like Chirs, who have set ups that are " - + - + - +"... My question is: Don't you collect both hydrogen and oxygen in the same container?

2) I have also heard of people using 12volts to power there electrolyser...
My question is: When the min. voltage of electrolysis is 1.2volts why are people using 12volts DC instead of something like 2 volts?

3) How do I change a 12Volt source from 12volts to 2 volts with just a simple circuit?

Any Help would be great: Thanks,
-Randy
Etownlax
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Randy,

Please read over the Electrolysis Basics found under My Projects, Electrolysis. You will find that many of your questions are answered there before you post here :) It will save everyone some frustration.
Last edited by Chris on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:05 pm

Needanswer, please hold on and your questions will be answered. I'm still posting information on the project so it will take me a few days to get it all written for you guys :)

Once I'm done that I'll gladly answer anything that you have questions about. There will be no GOOP glue in the production versions. And yes I use usplastics.com for most of my plastic specialty parts.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby eco » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi Chris,

I made similar design 6 months ago.This is good design.Only difference is size of unit.My unit is 4"PVC pipes.Plates are 7" x 3.5".My unit had 7 cells and 2 bubblers.If you add one cell more you will have much better efficiency.Now ,I am working on 65 cells design with rectangle pipes. :wink:
eco
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Eco I will add as many cells as possible in the production units. I can go up to whatever the reaction allows. For now this prototype set has plate problems and spacing issues. So 5 is about the best I can do and still get decent amperage draw.

The new plates are laser cut and much more precise so I should be able to push efficiency to the max.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby eco » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:00 am

For 6" long plates is the best if you drill holes for 2 nylon bolts.Your spacing problem you can solve with nylon washers. :wink:
eco
Regular Poster

Postby CJMOSS » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:18 am

Chris, are the middle plates nuetral, not connected to the DC leads?

My hardware store has been back orderd on the stainless for the last month. I'm about nuts waiting to get started with my ver 2. I was thinking of using pvc in the manner of yours, then inserting these tubes in a 4" ABS sewer for mounting under hood.
"the present day composer refuses to die" FZ
CJMOSS
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 pm

CJMOSS,

No there are no neutral plates in this submerged cell design. Each plate is securely connected / welded to the source supply either (+) or (-).

Eco,

Regarding drilling of 2 holes ...yes it helps with spacing but when you weld you risk melting the nylon since it's much closer to the weld points. It also reduces surface area because of having a 2nd hole & washers in the plates.

Of these 2 concerns, the melting problem is the bigger issue. That's why I have stuck with single holes in my design.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby MarkinAustralia » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Follow your passion
MarkinAustralia
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:36 pm

eco
Regular Poster

Postby glenn_aircooled » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:37 pm