[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Manganese Oxide from AA batteries and the like. I wonder?

Manganese Oxide from AA batteries and the like. I wonder?

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Manganese Oxide from AA batteries and the like. I wonder?

Postby Jehu » Mon May 18, 2009 3:15 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Thu May 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, I've torn quite a few apart now and I'm learning a bit about them.

Most of the old elcheapo batteries are carbon zinc. You can eaisly tell these by putting a magnet to the side of the cylinder. If it's a carbon zinc it shouldn't stick but it will with an alkaline cell. I found that if you are pulling apart a CZn battery that is leaking, you will have a hard time peeling the zinc case away. The case becomes quite thin and brittle. Also the MnC inside it becomes quite dry and makes it harder to extract. In a cell that still has electrolyte in it, everything is quite damp still and that makes it much eaiser to extract everything. So I'mthinking that it might be a good Idea to open the case slightly and soak it in water if it has already started leaking. Also you have to open these from the top. I've found the eaisest way is to get a small pair of angle cutters and pince the outer case and pull it away. Though you do have to be careful because you will cause a short and this can heat up the battery quite a bit. I had one that emmited a spark once.

Alkaline cells are quite a bit different. If you are opening these, wear gloves. I pretty much do the same as with CZn cells but at the bottom of the cell. I first make one pinch and then hold the cell over a bottle and let the KOH drip out. If you don't do this, when you make the other pinches, the cell wil heat up alot due to the shorts. So be quick when you make the pinches. Once I get the bottom plate exposed I give it a tug with some pliers and the plate and metal pin slide straight out. Then if I peel the can back more, I can then get my pliers in and pull on the paper membrane and slide it straight out. Then I can seperate the Mn+C and the Zn paste.

Seamonkey, thanks for the info on making the rods in a mold in Mael's thread. I was wondering what they use as a binder.

Now I still gotta figure out what to do with this Mn that I'm getting out of these batteries. I can't really find much uses for them on the net. Maybe I could make a thumping big battery out of it? Make some type of rechargeable perhaps?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Graphite/Manganese Dioxide cell electrode.

Postby SeaMonkey » Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Carbon resistance...

Postby SeaMonkey » Wed May 27, 2009 2:22 am

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 am

Jehu