[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - SERIES FAILURE

SERIES FAILURE

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

SERIES FAILURE

Postby dhho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 am

Ok I have spent heaps of money getting an acrylic box made up.It has 7 seperate cells with 2 plates 6inch * 3inch spaced 3mm apart. It is fed with battery voltage on each end.I can get it to pull about 3 amps max cold and it makes around .5 lpm and I don't seem to be able to get it to pull more amps no matter what mix of noah and water I use.It seems to get to a point where amps and production goes down by adding more caustic.If I short the two middle plates across making just 6 cells it seems to draw a lot harder.Battery voltage was at 13.65 volts.Each cell is totaly seperate apart from gas channel at the top and is filled with a small plug in each cell.All looks impressive but aint working that well.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mos
dhho
Regular Poster

Postby Dynamite » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 am

i'll start by saying alot of my research and knowlege comes from the meyer cell.

3mm spacing, thats not too much? my cell has 1.5mm spacing.

also my limited knowlege of joe cells says the you need really high amp, maybe 3 just isn't enough.

perhaps try using a battery, (actual car batts work well, i pulled 80amp out of one on my mates cell)

have yout tried acidic electrolytes?
my mate used sulfuric acid, and his cells cranks
Dynamite
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:05 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 am

dhho
Regular Poster

Postby cwaugs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 am

cwaugs
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:24 am

Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:53 am

Dhho,
Now I see why you are having so many issues. I have a rough drawing here, I would need to see pictures of your cell to give you a intelligent answer. Also on a 7 plate 6 cell you would only have to refill it every 100 miles.. if you would like to keep it from going dry. I Will be experimenting with a new design that will be needing to be refilled every 500 miles.. I will be posting new pictures very soon.
Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 am

i hate to be a jerk here, but why dont you take the two seconds, snap a picture, and host it on here so we can get a better idea of whats going on? i've got a great mind's eye but you're speaking alien to me. :)

and you defiantely should've mixed your electrolyte in a big batch instead of per cell.

since it is a series cell, do a voltage drop test across each plate. also, purchase an ammeter so you know what kind of amps your pulling.

kind of a blanket statement here, but its frustrating to me when people go through great lengths to build something really fantastic, then kinda bump and stumble in the little details.

ever read the write up on building bob boyce's 50lpm electrolyser? every step has to be perfectly, painstakingly done. we are dealing with unseen forces (electricity) and sometimes it is very hard to understand where its going and why.

standardization. standardization is key. standardization to the building materials, to the tests, to the electrolyte and eeverything. takes the guesswork out of it all.
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Ok thanks for all your replies.I am sorry at the moment I do not have a digital camera to take photos,my daughters keep taking them away.
The unit has 7 cells and 14 plates,two plates per cell in its own compartment,just like a battery with 7 cells. It is early morning here and I will try to get a voltage across cell reading as soon as I can.
Sorry also that I don't seem to be smart enough to ask questions on this forum as I thought it was how we learn.
Thanks again,
Mos
dhho
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Just checked volts across cell and it is 1.8 volts which seem just about right.
All electrical conections seem OK,even shined up where earth goes for better conection.Here this morning it is about 0deg C and only drawing 1.08 amps and makes good gas for that but just don't seem to get amps up.Will try emptying and refilling shortly and will post results.
Regards
Mos
dhho
Regular Poster

Postby a3holerman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 pm

In other posts and in my own experiments: approx 1.4 volts is said to be ideal...it will produce little heat but also production is low. Two volts and a bit more increase production, and current, for a given electrolyte. Tou might try if its open to skip one cell and run it as a 6 cell unit ans see what you get.

Tom
a3holerman
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:47 am

Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 am

dhho
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 am

Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:16 am

I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis