[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Please critique this design...be nice...

Please critique this design...be nice...

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Please critique this design...be nice...

Postby fixaze » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 am

The constraints:

* will use (4) 1 qt mason jars with metal lids

* will use 20 gauge 304 ss...cause that's what I have

Thinking of setting all 4 up as a series...using around 2.5" x 2.5" plates spaced 1/4" apart....and using 1 neutral plate between the 2 active plates.

The 2.5" x 2.5" plates will be maybe 1/2" off the bottom of the jars...will be using cheap insulated ss strap to bring the current down and to hold them in place.

Will probably being using manifold vac and allowing air to be run down into the bottom of all jars.

The 1/4" spacing is to allow easier evacuation of bubbles..and will require more NaOH than 1/8" spacing.

Should have somewhere north of 1.5 V between plates...considering the inefficiencies of open plate designs and actual running voltage.

Run thru a bubbler.

Expected to run at around 15 to 20 amps on a 2.4L throttle body EFI engine.

Is this design likely to work? Efficient? Any improvements?

How about the expected amps per plate area...somewhere in the ballpark?
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 am

It Will run HOT!
If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Re: Please critique this design...be nice...

Postby FlashBang » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby cwaugs » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 pm

cwaugs
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:29 pm

"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:52 pm

FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm

That's why I'm asking for advice...to maybe avoid some mistakes.

I've have a pair of jars running in series at 6V between plates...11 square " per jar reactive surface (3 active plates)....22 square " total both jars. When hot it is running at around 9 A and 130F. 1/8" spacing. Starts at 5.5 A cold.

Seems to run pretty stable. So at 9 A hot I consider it a success....was supposedly designed for up to 12 A.

I've noticed that most reaction occurs on the upper surfaces of the plates at around 6 A or lower...get up into 20 A and the reaction fully covers the plates.

http://oupower.com/index.php?dir=_Other ... cts/fixaze

With 2Xs the NaOH it was running 138F and up to 18-20 A ...when the fuse blew. With a larger fuse and more NaOH it was running up to 25 A or so till the fuse went.

I was thinking I'd get away with 1/4" spacing since voltage would be much lower....but maybe not.

So maybe 1/8" spacing and 3.5" x 2.5" plates...(+ n -). Total of 70 square " reactive surface? Save the plates!

I don't spend a lot of time running the jars and watching them work...and I use a bubbler...but I guess it only takes one mistake. I might use a bubbler AND a flash arrestor.

I keep thinking of plastic melting and losing shape....especially next to a radiator at 200F....not to mention sealing issues.

* reactive surface = square " surface area of one plate of each pair

Appreciate the advice....keep on testing...
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

PLEASE REMOVE DUPLICATE POST

Postby FlashBang » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:35 am

Looking In...

Please remove that duplicate post. I was working on my Treo755 and some how it sent the post twice.

Thanks

FlashBang!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:21 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:47 pm

I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 am

fixaze,
As I don't enjoy glass very much. Please just be very careful. I'm looking forward to updates on your new cell and construction
Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis