[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:45 pm

I am trying to rid myself of 3 Ford F350 TRUCKS. I am trying to trade ALL 3 for an Escape Hybrid, because I can activate the "CHUCK ENGINE" and replace with more batteries, and a solar panel or 4....

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:49 pm

The Escape Hybrid can be converted like any other vehicle, but the cost of parts are mostly there, and the most expensive pieces are there as well, larger motors, battery banks, solar panels, and a battery controller (not a MOTOR controller) are all extra. the main bonus here is the riddance of a bunch of Titanic Dinosaurs!

I get rid of 3 and bring home 1. I know it has been rolled, and has only 20,000 miles on it. the majority of body work has already been done.

There are a whole myriad of conversions to accompany this vehicle, like Hydraulic power to the wheels, and other such conversions, that leverage the energy from a wimpy motor and battery pack.

I figure that I have to start someplace to get someplace.

It's a start anyway....

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:15 am

I was not aware that there were more than 1 type of hybrid as far as the electrics were concerned. I am aware of "Conventional Hybrids" and "Through the Road Hybrids" and a few other variations of such.

I Plan to use a battery controller as well as a motor controller, AND solar PV with CONCENTRATORS...AND GPS Sun-Tracking, as to track the sun with parabolic solar concentrator arrays, one must know what direction AND location, as well as the time of day and sun's magnitude, as well as ELEVATION, to properly accomplish this.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated here. as I plan to use this and NEVER plug-in, or use EXTERNAL Oil fired power to recharge.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:23 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:21 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:45 am

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:13 am

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Some EV conversion info + rant

Postby spinning-magnets » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:09 pm

I did some research a while back to see if an EV conversion was something I might suit me in the near future and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a top choice for my situation.

That being said (also, I have not ever actually done a conversion) I felt I learned enough, that refreshing my memory on motors and batteries in the future would be easy should I decide to start a conversion, but the controller was something that was vital, but very complex, and if I ever was going to get one, they would be very different and improved by the time I got interested in them. I was very impressed by the developement that was going on with the controllers for racing EV's. Google "Zilla controller" and "NEDRA". These guys are "open-source" and dedicated to home-made controllers that can be "beaten like a rented mule". (PS, Ultracapacitors are much better at capturing regeneration braking energy than the battery pack, not yet a common controller capability)

I remember seeing two sites with someone who did an EV conversion, and although they were dedicated to using it, they were disappointed in the range, and each developed a trailer with a scrap engine/generator to use on the occasional long trip.

The Toyota Prius has sold over one million units so far for a variety of reasons. Blogs have shown that some fans of the Prius hoped to replace the (expensive) battery pack with a newer battery type as they came available (when the stock NiMH battery wore out), and also the Prius configuration made it fairly easy to convert it to a "plug-in Hybrid" (larger 30-minute "electric only" battery range and a controller upgrade). A company called Hymotion in San Francisco (I think) will convert a stock NiMH Prius to a "plug-in" Li-ion (voiding warrantee) for $17,000 (yikes!)

Are you interested in alternative fuels because:
A. Don't want to pollute when going to get a burger, and thus help to remove one more methane-belching cow from our fragile eco-system.
B. Want to ease US dependence on foreign oil when going to buy mercury-filled fluorescent bulbs from Wal-Mart made by Chinese political prisoners in a coal-powered factory.
C. Want to be independent from society when fecal extrusions strike the spinning air-flow inducer.

Do you recall in the 1970's being told on a regular basis that the biggest problem with pollution was the Carbon Monoxide from car exhaust? You've heard of the volcanos Vesuvius, Krakatoa, Pintaubo?..well it was Mount St Helens (made in America!) that was well-monitored and shown to spew forth more Carbon Monoxide in its one eruption than ALL OF THE CARS EVER MADE IN HISTORY! (how many volcanos have there been in the geologic record?) now they're saying its carbon DI-oxide (AHA! the real problem is all those PEOPLE breathing out!) and methane from cow belches!

Mammoths (North American elephants) lived in lush green forests in Siberia and Alaska in areas where there is NOW no edible greenery year-round (check the core samples). There was coral in the water it was so warm (how much foliage does one elephant eat each day?, how could huge herds survive winter in Alaska without Purina Mammoth-Chow??). How about when there was a 1,000 ft thick GLACIER covering North America? Did the giant dinosaurs breathe out carbon dioxide, belch methane, smoke tobacco, and drive SUV's??

We shouldn't dump chemical waste into the water tables drinking and irrigation water, but mankinds contribution to global warming is a urination in the ocean.

My interest is in becoming more independent, self-sufficient, and to retire as soon as possible before the governments mismanagement of the coming urban riots. It happened before, don't kid yourself... We'll survive, but it will be a painful transition to a more difficult end result than the life we have now.

Acquire Knowlege..., and combine with tools, a creative mind, and access to free junk. -Ron
spinning-magnets
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:50 am

Well for me, it boils down to GREED. or rather HOW TO GET AWAY FROM IT.

Greed comes in many forms. one of them is to be a person whom has found a way to make energy free of cost. not perpetual motion, but that person no longer purchases his energy from an outside source. so you are possibly that person. and since you are living your lifestyle without paying somebody to use YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT, someone comes along and says, "Hey! You gotta fill my hands with cash every WEEK (month/ year-whatever...) to use your equipment there."

and your response is going to be:

"Are your out of your ever loving MIND???"

so even the local power company won't be happy that you have enough power to not only HEAT AND LIGHT your house, but power your car as well.

so how does one further prevent this greed cycle? If I had the answer I would be implementing it right now, and not be here, where everyone knows where I am.

So...for me, it's somewhat of an independence thing, but more tied to moral reasons as well as getting away from pollution. if everyone in town picked up a piece of litter instead of walking past it, and put it into a "Pre-Used" grocery bag, and properly disposed of the trash/ litter, then all the cities and towns would look VERY clean, and the same responsibility were for the industrial arena, as well as all other industries and human status globally, we would NOT have a pollution problem. yes the chemical problems exist, but if those technologies were not stymied and stifled, those would be cured as well. so the perfect world is the solution, but since we'll never see that day EVER, we are stuck with the greedy chemical end of the pollution deal.

kinda like getting the short end of the stick that is used to beat your brains in with. you have no leverage to stop it from happening. so instead of fighting, don't give up, don't give in, walk away. What I mean here is to not participate in the problems that contribute to the problems here. grow your own food- don't complain about pesticide problems then. Make your own fuel- and not complain about the price. Cook your own food- and not complain about flavor. get the idea? it's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Well, I have more and more work to do. Legal paperwork and such.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby 12volt dan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:01 am

Exactly,and if people were making there own power there would be no monopolies influencing governments. I get sick of people complaining of the high cost of fuel while speeding down the highway in a big v-8 truck to get a quart of milk,it's an oxymoron at best

People have become a little lazy in that they like cheep reliable power but don't want to work for it,just have it delivered. we could be off oil with a little work but I don't see it happening for that "work" reason. The hydrogen economy will work just fine on a personal level it's when you do it comercialy it becomes inefficent so there's little progress towards that kind of fuel source.
10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:17 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby 12volt dan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:08 am

10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:56 pm