[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Diy Waste Oil Heater

Diy Waste Oil Heater

Looking to build your own machine shop equipment from scrap metal? Maybe interested in the "Gingery" designs and beyond... You've come to the right place.

Postby Jehu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Wow, very nice. Can you give us another pic of the door open with both pans installed and possibly one with it running with the door open please?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:04 am

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 am

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Well it is not as warm as it was last weekend, 21 degrees. I wanted to show pics of the flame and the iron burner in operation. It was difficult to get the oil flowing. I am using old motor oil from our personal vehicles. It is very thick when it is this cool. With less wind it was easier to light. Here are the pics at medium burn. It is the best I could do with the oil flow under that temp.

The next pics are looking down the air intake.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm

The new aluminum burner, I will test this tomorrow. The first 1 inch from the out side diameter is cut at 10 degrees. The rest to the center is at 12 degrees.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:02 pm

The aluminum disk is a total waste of time. The flame would die as soon as I shut the door. The cast iron and steel burner is what I will use from now on.
I started when it was 18 degrees outside. I also put the heater in the in the shroud. The shroud works outstanding. The heater is at 700 degrees and the out side of the shroud is at 50 degrees.
A dampener is a great addition to the system. It makes starting easier. I just shut it to a small opening and less air is pulled in to cool the oil. As the oil heats I open the dampener a bit more. To keep the heat at its full potential I have been running it about 1/2 open.
I have been running this thing outside and keeping the oil flowing it tough below 40 degrees. The oil bucket cools pretty quickly. I think in the shop this will not be much of a problem as there is no wind, and the shop will warm, and warm the oil also.
Yesterday I went out and picked up a 5 inch chimney system, my buddy is using a 4 inch exhaust, so I think I should be okay. I have a few more parts to pick up; I need to go to a heating and supply store to get them. They are a 7 inch roof flashing and storm collar.
For those of you who think I live in a warm climate look at the sky in this pic. We are supposed to have snow tomorrow. Kansas weather changes this way all of the time.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 pm

…A busy week end. My wife had me install a storm door. Who would have thought that Anderson could make a simple project difficult and time consuming? It took most of the afternoon on Saturday.

Sunday was mine. I gathered up the remaining stuff that I thought I needed for the chimney. Yet still make half a dozen trips to the local home centers. I could not believe the simple items I needed are not at one store I had to go to both Home Depot and Lowe’s to complete the project. But it is done and I am happy it works.

The chimney drafts incredibly well, almost too well. It is 12 feet long and is about 1 foot taller than my ridge line. I also installed a dampener in the stack. Starting is not as simple as it was in the back yard. I have to let the oil heat up with the door open for about 10 minutes. I also have to restrict the air intake longer or the fire will blow out. After every thing is heated I can control the air intake with the flue dampener. I am going to make a variable cover for the intake tomorrow.

I ran for about 45 minutes. I got it pretty hot and the paint started to smoke and smell. I tried to do this out side but could not because the weather was too cold and the oil would not flow. It heated the shop pretty quickly but the temp outside was pretty warm today, 40 degrees.

I am eager to start tweaking it for my needs now that I have it functional inside.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm

The new damper is in and is working great. Start up was easy. As far as running it I just open until it starts to go out then close when the center of the puddle is stabilized.
Here are the modifications.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 pm

So simple yet very effective. Nice work
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 am

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Postby Dngspot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm

One thing I hated last winter was to stand over the heater and look down the intake pipe to find out how fast the oil was flowing. During a search on waste oil heaters I found on YouTube a guy who built a Sanders design, he bought a needle valve with a window from Roger Sanders. He also posted he paid $50.00 for it. With a pic of the valve I began another search and found a valve made by Lube Devices and the part number was N102-02, It turns out that Grainger carries them under their number 1U795, they go for $34.95. This little guy makes setting the heater so much easier. I recommend highly.

Dngspot
Regular Poster

Re: Diy Waste Oil Heater

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am

DGN, are you still using your waste oil heater that you posted here? I would love to hear your feedback now that it's been a few years.

I'm sorry I've been away for so long. I got a divorce and had to move, get a new house, re-build my shop from scratch... everything was crazy for a while; but now I'm back!

I'm trying to re-build membership on the forums again here. If you're around and interested in continuing work with Clean Energy Tech or any other crazy stuff... I'm here too. I'd love to hear from you.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Building Your Own Shop Equipment