[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Pb/H2SO4 bat'ries.

Pb/H2SO4 bat'ries.

Have an Over Unity topic to discuss that just doesn't quite fit into one of the above forums? -Post your topic here! Maybe if it gets enough attention, we'll make a forum for it.

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 am

Rather than using a single capacitor it is best to use several parallel connected. This will distribute the strain of the high current discharge among the several and prolong their lives.

I order many of my electronic components from , and another good source is

To find a suitable transformer check out your local electrical/electronic surplus outlets.

It is possible to use the 24 Volt output of your transformer providing you configure a Voltage Doubler or a Voltage Tripler, or even a quadrupler, to pump up the voltage to charge your main storage capacitors.

Is your transformer capable of providing at least one ampere of current at the 24 Volts?

This would do very well with a full wave doubler.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:06 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:11 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:51 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:59 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Way to go!

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:18 pm

The path to true knowledge and understanding is littered with many failures and blown transistors and other odd devices. Welcome to the world or real experimenters Mael, who have made far more mistakes trying things than we've experienced successes!

Sometimes it gets a bit frustrating when things go up in smoke, but even then it's quite a lot of fun.

I really like your philosophy of using parts that you have available and trying to figure out how to make them do the job satisfactorily. It is much less costly than buying new parts to experiment with and far more satisfying when you finally do succeed.

You are truly having good success rejuvenating your lead-acid batteries! The pulsers really do reverse plate sulfation and restore life to the batteries thought beyond help. It almost seems magical because they're able to accomplish rejuvenation that conventional charging is not able to at all.

Those "deposits" inside the cell casings are "normal" for automotive batteries. It's the result of the plates "shedding" active material due to the expansion/contraction of the plate materials during the charge-discharge cycles. It's unavoidable, unfortunately, and will in time cause the battery to finally fail after several years of heavy use. But, if the batteries are well cared for and desulfated frequently you can extend their lives by many years.

Astable multivibrators are very useful for making pulses to drive the base of a power transistor in order to deliver high current pulses to a battery being rejuvenated. All you need to do is make the multivibrator unbalanced so that one side has a long time constant and the opposite side has a short time constant of the length you desire for the pulse width.

Then you can apply the narrow positive pulse to the base of a darlington configured transistor pair to produce the high current pulses. The darlington configuration will have a high input impedance so will not load the multivibrator output excessively.

a link to a web page which has some very interesting and useful circuits which I think you'll be interested in.

The type of pulser you're wanting to make with bipolar transistors is not too difficult and they work very well indeed. Just be sure to pulse the power transistor with very brief pulses of not more than 20 microseconds to avoid damage. The pulsing frequency can be from 1 KHz to 5 KHz, the higher the frequency the more power will be delivered to the battery.

Data sheets for transistors, especially older or industrial ones, are nice to have but not absolutely necessary. If you're able to rig a test circuit to provide variable base current to a transistor while monitoring Vce with a moderate load, increase the base current until the transistor just begins to go into saturation (Vce is lowest) and this is where you want the pulse drive current to be. Light saturation will result in the best compromise of switching speed and minimum heating of the transistor.

You're making very good progress Mael and well on your way to even more success with your battery rejuvenation. Soon the word will get around your community and people will come to you for your services.

Keep us posted!
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:53 am

redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:56 am

redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:03 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 am

Perhaps it is time to curtail the 75 a/h batt that I had pulsing for a week.

I checked the cells again and all the cells are inside the green zone except one which is 'on' the green line.

I intend to test it by letting it discharge through a 35 Watt auto-bulb, and I'll start that test later today.

So it appears that battery was 'fixed.'

The pulser which fixed it was powered by a 28 V open-circuit trans. The final output was through a power transistor, and delivered a (safe) maximum of around ten Amps.

I adjusted the output by using resistors in series between the BR and the CAP bank. - No rocket science at all! - And it used a relay tweaked a bit so it pulses between 3 PPs and 10 PPs. During the wekks's testing I operated the device on less than its maximum potential around half of the time. - Mostly because I was worried about overheating. Overheating of this little unit wasn't a big problem, and I believe I can make this device an amp or three more powerful in the pulses without dmage.

It appears that the more powerful the pulse, the faster the desulphation.

So that's it! Anyone can do it! Here's my personal testimony that this system to rejuvenate lead/acid batts does indeed work. The electricity used to desulphate the batt was paltry, and the only thing it needs is time to work. Well a week seems to be OK at the power levels I described for a medium-t-largish auto battery.

Save money guys!
mael
Regular Poster

Desulfators and cet.

Postby SeaMonkey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:08 pm

SEAMONKEY

i have a dc motor that i have been using for a windmill

it is rated at 96 volts at 26 amps @ 1700 rpm

connected to a small engine in some fassion

srry bad spelling

:roll:
redriderno22
Regular Poster

DC motors as generators

Postby SeaMonkey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm

DC motors make good generators.

If it is a permanent magnet motor you can control its output voltage by varying the speed of rotation.

If it is a parallel wound motor you can adjust its output voltage by varying the field current at a fixed rpm.

What's the voltage of the battery configuration in your cart?
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 pm

club car 48 volt
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Well, my somewhat dodgy circuits hacked together from various discarded consumer electrical appliances are holding.

For some time (measured in blown semiconductors) I had a 5kHz AMV rigged with what turned out to be a behemoth 65 Volt ten-Amp transformer. I couldn't manage to tame it.

So I replaced the trans for a more modest one which is rated at 24 V at ten Amp max. That could charge the caps to about 33 V. I managed to make a small relay run at about 30 PPs, which I used to drive the gate of a 60 A MOSFET.

My versions of drivers are not 'cutting-edge,' but at least the initial pulse is nice and sharp even if the current trails off a little slower. I actually just used a small auto bulb between the gate and the source.

So I went out to find another knackered battery and as luck would have it I found one. It's just a small one. Maybe 18 A/H. I have put it on a pulse charge through my newly made one which I finished an hour ago at 05:00 this morning.

I am apprehensive yet again and hope this large pulser will prove a point, which is that I can de-sulphate lead/acid batts even faster.

The pulser I'm testing pulses at about 25 - 30 PPs. The input to the cap bank indicates about 2 Amps at the moment. (I don't know how much I can get it to pulse at maximum, but I melted the wire when I attempted to find out. I don't want to blow this one just yet, so I'm not pushing it.

I estimate each pulse is for a 30/th of a sec, and as i said, it's pulsing at about 25 - 30 PPS. (Scuse the guess work. - Not much in the way of test equipment).

I would estimate the pulse intensity hitting the (currently) 12.6V batt as about 20 Amps at the moment. That's over twice as powerful and three times faster than my previous pulser which seemed to bring a battery back to servicable condition in a week.

I wonder if I would be pushing it if I suggested I could sell these batteries as batteries which are in good working order? I'll have to do something with the mounting stack of batts I have here. :? Maybe it'll help pay for some REAL equipment?

Sea Monkey. Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement. I very much appreciate it.
mael
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to OU General Discussions