Ethanol Production

Have an Over Unity topic to discuss that just doesn't quite fit into one of the above forums? -Post your topic here! Maybe if it gets enough attention, we'll make a forum for it.

Ethanol Production

Postby Dr Dimento » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:34 am

I figured this was about the best place to actually see the results of experimentation......so here goes.

With the price of oil being high, and soon to go even higher, i think the discussion of Ethanol production on this board is long overdue. President Bush, although not a wise man, actually said something that made sense during his state of the union address. This was the idea of using Ethanol as a replacement for gasoline.

Since 1999, U.S. automakers have been producing "flex-fuel" cars, or cars which can burn gasoline or Ethanol (usually 85% ethanol, 15% gas, or E-85). In addition, it's not too complicated to "convert" your automobile to be able to burn Ethanol. A simple chip, and/or replacing a couple hoses would do the job.

In addition, Ethanol burns cleaner and is a renewable resource that the U.S. can easily produce enough of to satisfy its energy needs. While Corn would no doubt be the main source of ethanol in the U.S., it can be extracted from any type of plant......even sawdust or newspaper! A still could also be built in the average home that could actually provide enough Ethanol to fuel your cars completely.

I've kept up with most of the hydrolysis/hydrogen experiments on this board. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff, but to be honest, Hydrogen is in no position to replace gasoline anywhere in the near future and it requires MAJOR contruction for logistics, as well as a complete conversion of most automobiles.

Ethanol can be done right now, for very little cash. More effecient procedures for producing ethanol from plants are being discovered every day. I think at the very least, it deserves its own forum here on this board.

Right now you have to pay for designs on effecient stills and various setups. The good thing about ethanol is that anyone can produce it, just about for free! So why charge for information on this great renewable energy resource?

If anyone has done any experiments with this, make your results public and share your experiences.
Dr Dimento
Regular Poster

Return to OU General Discussions