[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - hydrogen powered motors??

hydrogen powered motors??

Have an Over Unity topic to discuss that just doesn't quite fit into one of the above forums? -Post your topic here! Maybe if it gets enough attention, we'll make a forum for it.

hydrogen powered motors??

Postby mseals » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:38 pm

mseals

Postby mseals » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Ok just a fast update for anyone who cares. I JUST got my hydrogen kit from ebay Alledgedly you can make hydrogen with aluminum cans shredded and lye.
No idea if this will work and probably be a few weeks before I can start my experiments. will let you know as i Go BUT if someone would like to confim that this will work (plus I have more answers I need to determine before i start)
Like how much psi I can create does it really gain psi while sitting .. what type of container should it be stored in. What psi released will actually run a lawn mower .. anyone have these answers?
mseals

NaOH / Al Hydrogen Gas Generator

Postby SeaMonkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:47 am

Yes, aluminum metal reacts very vigorously with sodium hydroxide solution (lye) to produce gaseous hydrogen.

Before you input the hydrogen made in this manner into any engine, be certain to scrub it with at least one water bubbler to remove the aerosolized lye. Any lye getting into the internals of an engine would be very damaging to it.

Also, the reaction produces very much heat, so in order to prevent the solution from boiling as it is generating hydrogen, have your generator placed in a bucket or tub of ice cold water.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby mseals » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:45 pm

thanks for that info .. any idea how much psi that will build up?? My theory is to create the hydrogen and store it in a large tank.. then take out of the large tank into smaller tanks for usage. Or maybe even from large tank.
My idea is to take a large air compresser tank and in the bottom put a line leading out with a shut off and a pressure release valve.
Then before I start placing the hydrogen in the side hole i fill it up completely with water. Then when it gets so much pressure it will release the pressure and push the water out the bottom hole.
I will have my filler nozzle out the top hole. This way IF any water left it won't go into the filler tanks AND when I start my filler tanks they will be full of water thus as the hydrogen goes in it "should" force the water back through the top hole and it should fall to the lower hole.
The theory is of course the filler tanks will have to be above the storage tank

IF over time the hydrogen compresses I will need to know that for if i need to use 2 tanks and gives a reason for the shut off on the pressure release valve at the bottom
mseals

NaOH / Al reaction Hydrogen pressure

Postby SeaMonkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:56 pm

The pressure the produced Hydrogen will build up to is limited only by the strength of the container the generator is made from. Gas Generators and Electrolyzers are capable of producing hundreds, even thousands, of pounds per square inch.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby ShovelheadSS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Mseals.

This series of videos have been very helpful in my basic understanding of the small engine and hydrogen. Perhaps you may find it useful.

ShovelheadSS
Regular Poster

Postby wolfmanjack » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:58 am

wolfmanjack

On storage and pressure;

Postby Dutchdivco » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 pm

"Fanatacism consists of redoubling your effort, while forgetting your aim"
Dutchdivco
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Just a thought.

If water was reduced to its component atoms by electrolysis in a sealed container, at what pressure would the process stop? Would it keep returning to water? Would the gas assume some other state? Or what would happen?

... And if this was heated? Or if it was ionised by an arc?

Fusion? Frankenstein?
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Return to OU General Discussions