A question about magnetic force.

These devices are similar to Overbalanced Wheels in that they have no electronic parts, but they do employ permanent magnets. The one important factor here is that these devices can run in the absense of gravity. In other words, they could run in space!

A question about magnetic force.

Postby mael » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 am

It's silly question time maybe.

However. Yesterday I wondered if magnetic force is dependant on the relative speeds of the objects.

Simply put:- Does a magnet exert a lesser force on a piece of iron/another magnet as it moves past it as the speed increases.

Ignoring inertia etc... Just the magnetic force itself.

(S) question #2.

:oops:

Does heat attenuate magnets (ie ring mags from an old magnetron) in a straight line on a graph?

* I dabbled with a mag motor a year or so back. I was using old record-player platters. It was a good lesson which taught me that my engineering needs to be improved. - I've got 50 or 60 of those ring magnets from magnetrons, and maybe 30 of those neodyne jobs. Must be good for something. I'm gearing up to trying again y'see.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby WiLi » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:51 pm

"the only silly question is the one that is not being asked"

Magnet speed:
As far as I know: no, the force of the magnet is not dependant on speed (not regarding relativistic issues here), although maybe this fact has never been researched yet.

BUT

regarding, for example, fast running devices like motors, there is an issue with speed: the faster the relative speed between magnet and counterpart is, the more are eddy currents and change of magnetization (hysteresis) an issue.

That is the reason for nonconducting ferromagnet cores in high frequency applyances like flyback transformers in the TV etc.

WiLi
WiLi
Regular Poster

Return to PMM's (Permanent Magnet Motors)