[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Virtually free power for lights etc... .

Virtually free power for lights etc... .

Talk about anything at all in this forum. General chatter about anything not related to the rest of the Discussion Board Topics, belongs here!

Postby AlaskaStar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 am

SeaMonkey:

Boy been a while since been on here...

One thing about self sufficient is having good equipment. For example I have a 1942 Ford 2N, if your google image this, you will see what I am talking about.
If I was alive when this fine piece of engineering was purchased new, Ford Motor Company would GIVE me a NEW distillery to MAKE my own fuel with the purchase of a NEW Ford Truck, OR a NEW Ford Tractor.

What I do know is that old Henry was wary of the Carnagies and opposed them strongly. So by offering a method upon which to make your own fuel, you could theoretically offset the profits of the Carnegies.

With good equipment, stuff that will still function in 100 years (yes that means made in USA a long time before China was doing all our work...) you can be quite self sufficient. I grew up using equipment that is over 100 years old daily. People see it in action and see me using this "antique" stuff like it's brand new, and become very curious as to how and why I am able to use a device that they have never seen in their life...let alone know what it is, how to use it properly, as well as any and all accessories to it, repairs and maintenance.

This is why I can work with stuff that is hundred years old, as well as modern computerized equipment fuel injection and data flow. You have to really look at the big picture.

And the big picture is ugly, grim and not worth worrying about. You need to worry about yourself and your family, friends and anyone else in your ability to help in any possible way.

I agree that the next few months are going to be horrible for some people to get through. This summer is going to be hotter than anything before. The 9th year is here. Every 9 years the pattern repeats in the weather. Except as the pendulum swings hard to the cold....it swings equal to the hot. Last winter we had a high pressure lock over a land mass large enough to be considered big enough to hold about 7 countries within the high pressure lock, with record cold temperatures. This summer is to be a high pressure lock over an even larger area, with little to no wind, severe droughts, and lots of heat.

My best suggestion for the heat is to buy WHITE COLORED WINTER JACKETS. If it will insulate you from the cold, it will insulate you from the heat. White will reflect many of the light frequencies of absorption for heat.

You need to use the knowledge of the Pueblo Indians to use heat and rocks to get fresh drinking water.

I wish I could say more here, but I haven't the time at this moment.

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

The olden stuff.....

Postby SeaMonkey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 am

I remember the 'N' tractors from when I was a kid. Very nice machines! It's not surprising that many of those are still doin' their thing...

Yep, I really have a fascination with the old stuff too. Lookin' back, I wish I'd hung on to all the old cars I had in my younger days. They were indeed very well built and sturdy!

The number of farmers who distill their own fuel isn't as as great today as back in the time, but 'the art' is not forgotten. In the very tough times in store just around the corner it may really blossom again. There's gonna be a whole lotta scroungin' goin' on!

I agree completely with your feelings about takin' care of those close to us. Both family and friends and neighbors. Brush up on as many of the old skills as is possible before the crappus giganticus smashes into the big rotating blades.

You're very fortunate to be where y'are with all the 'raw materials' to make long-term survival a very real prospect. Both you, and your very capable life-partner (she's a very attractive one too) should do very well indeed when the 'lights' go out for the rest of us!

It's gonna be a rough and bumpy ride where the 'old knowledge' may be the only way to obtain the necessities.

Hope things are lookin' better for you and that your recovery will be far more complete than is now thought possible.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:46 am

Hey Seamonkey!

My voice is gone forever. Permanent chemical damage to the lungs and larynx.

That's 12 minutes exposure to jet black diesel exhaust in a situation where leaving the equipment was deadlier than staying with it.

You don't bail off your equipment in 6 lanes of traffic. Humans can't drive on 2 dimensional surface, now add snow, ice and stupid humans.

The power of stupid people gather together in large numbers is a scary thing.

Kinda makes me thing of our current political arrangement.....

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Are you ok?

what happened?
all work and no play.....
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:30 am

Hey RedRider!

Ok, here's what happened:

Feb 28th, Fur Rondy Parade in Anchorage, Alaska. I am part of The Antique Power Club of Alaska, Branch #52 of EDGE&TA (Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association). I took part in the parade on my 1942 Ford 2N Tractor.

I strongly suggest you open a new tab/ window at this time and do a GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH for "Ford 2N" to clarify things, because I CAN'T ROLL UP THE WINDOWS, OR TURN THE DEFROSTERS OFF!! (you will laugh when you see it)

So After the parade, I have to drive it back to A&M RV Center. This is where we host the INDOOR SHOW. Now, it's below zero, snowing...etc...etc..

I end up stuck in 3 lanes wide traffic at a stop light waiting for the green light. The light is 12 minutes long, ad this particular intersection crosses the SEWARD HIGHWAY, which at that intersection is a one way and is called either GAMBLE or INGRA. Yes you can look it up on google maps, yahoo maps....etc...etc..for those who like to nitpick...

Now this intersection I was headed NORTH, so I was at the INGRA Intersection, and I was in the turn lane, which happened to be the CENTER LANE. To my right was a small pickup truck, to my front was a small car, and to my left was the ass end of a flatbed truck. This flatbed truck was diesel, and was spewing jet black exhaust out idling at this light. To clue you in, I had 1 foot between me and the car in front, 2 feet to my left was this truck with the exhaust dumping right at me (refer to google image) and to my rear behind the tractor was a minivan that was 6 inches away from the 3-point (I thought overly stupid!!!). To clue you in, it was heavy traffic, and literally the lights are so long one way and so short the other way, that when the light turns green, everyone floors the throttle. and you can MAYBE get 7 cars through on a good day!

So while waiting/ coughing-gagging, I look at the other drivers....they are dying in their cars, they all have the defrosters on (sucking this horrid black cloud into the passenger compartment) and I can see the other drivers coughing and gagging as I am.

When the light turned green (I couldn't see it!) the truck driver planted his foot firmly on the floor with the throttle sandwiched between. The cloud was so thick that I could not see the car in front of my tractor (1 foot away) with the HEADLIGHTS ON!! Did I mention that it was BROAD DAYLIGHT?

So March 1st...My voice was gone. 45 days later....it's still gone.

So I have learned ASL (American Sign Language) and am making do with what I can. People call, and say "I can't hear you!! Hello??" I say (ha ha---no voice) "no shit you dumbass!" and they can't even hear that!

So...I have permanently lost my voice. My wife is ready to kill me, my friends have deserted me, and work is incredibly hard to scare up with no voice.

Mute is not considered a disability. Sorry. Besides, I do better on my own.

So I have made quite a few friends in the deaf community, as the "deafies" have taken a liking to my way of doing things (helping people regardless)...

I have a deaf friend teaching me ASL, and there's a few restaurants that are now more patient to those whom can't talk or hear!

It sucks. Yes. Life's a bitch, then she has puppies too.

I have had my entire life re-organized involuntarily, but that's no problem.
You learn a lot about life in 45 days when something like this happens.

So...that's the scoop of poop.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am

Humm, I think I've driven one of them tractors.

I take it you didn't get the number plate of that truck? First thing I would have done was at least reported him. Having an exaust that bad should really deem that vehicle unroadworthy.

That really sucks dude.

Well, At least we can still talk to you via text. Sometimes I like that better than spoken words as you can gather your thoughts before you say something.

Have you found anything that could possibly help restore your voice, even only partially?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 am

Hmmm.

"45 days later ... it's still gone."

So there's real hope. :idea: :D

Time is the most reliable cure. Also avoiding decongestants because they dry the throat (larynx) and use a humidifier. Or use an allergy-type mask so the air you breathe is moist.

... and rest.

Can you calm down enough to let it have a chance to happen?
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:02 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:11 pm

all work and no play.....
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 am

I exercise all the time. I never stopped.

The pain is in my lungs, from the muscles that make them move.

I typically will drive to the mountains, point at a particular peak, and in mere street clothing (no safety gear etc...) will climb to the top, for fun. I will do this about 20 times per month in the summer. Totally random picking too.

Not many people do this, but I have 4 friends that do it too! I'm the only Male in the friend group that climbs for fun.

The cost to build the bunker was over $1.3 million, and that was back in 1976.

The place is still harder than a rock. even in winter it's a balmy 64 degrees inside, because it has a 67 degree artesian spring feeding it constantly in the middle of the floor. The output of the spring is the headwaters of a certain flowing body of water. Considering the number of streams and rivers....good luck finding it! There's literally thousands of artesian springs and creeks up here.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:50 pm

mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 am

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun May 24, 2009 4:41 am

Nobody up for the challenge eh?

Sad...

Oh well! I'll build it someday...when I finish my other projects. Just adding it to the list of things to do.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sun May 24, 2009 7:21 am

This is another one on my list. I haven't bothered to respond to it as I've still got other things ahead of it and I'm going on a trip in a few days.

Looks interesting enough.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to OUPower Pub