[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Anyone watch Cool Fuel on the science channel?

Anyone watch Cool Fuel on the science channel?

Talk about anything at all in this forum. General chatter about anything not related to the rest of the Discussion Board Topics, belongs here!

Anyone watch Cool Fuel on the science channel?

Postby savage1r » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:36 pm

I saw an episode YESTERDAY on the show where the host took a ride in an ethanol powered BMW that had a hydrogen booster in the trunk that ran off of the waste heat/electricity (they didn't go into ANY details unfortunately, they just showed some quick shots of the cell). The cell was a classic plates design and seemed to be bubbling ok but I'm amazed that they were just beaming over the fact that the car ran on ethanol and just glazed over the fact that it was getting 150mpg due in part because of the hydrogen generator. I'm amazed how Science Channel can miss the entire forest for a tree.
savage1r
Regular Poster

BMW keepin' it "real"

Postby spinning-magnets » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 pm

A hydrogen ion walks into the Cathode bar and orders a drink. The bartender asks "why are you so sad? The Ion replys "I lost an electron". The bartender asks; "are you positive"?
spinning-magnets
Regular Poster

This is slightly different

Postby savage1r » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:52 pm

savage1r
Regular Poster

I stand corrected!

Postby spinning-magnets » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:33 pm

You are right! I spoke before I read the info. I tried Googleing, but there aren't many links about this just yet, though I hope to see a lot of interest in this home-improved car soon.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Tr ... Fuels.aspx

"1996 BMW Z3 Roadster. Powered by 1.9-liter, 175-horsepower engine modified to run on 100-percent corn whiskey; a regenerative hydrogen generator system helps increase mileage by using waste heat"
A hydrogen ion walks into the Cathode bar and orders a drink. The bartender asks "why are you so sad? The Ion replys "I lost an electron". The bartender asks; "are you positive"?
spinning-magnets
Regular Poster

That's the one

Postby savage1r » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 pm

I just wish they'd ELABORATE a little bit more on how the hydrogen generator gets electricity from waste heat. Is there a mini turbine powered by steam from the heat coming from the engine or are they just using the excess power generated from the alternator? Just like in the show, the article glazes over it. Ugh, so frustrating.
savage1r
Regular Poster

Return to OUPower Pub