[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - New Section Needed?

New Section Needed?

If you have questions concerning any of this Website's functions, features or operations, please utilize this area. Technical problems or issues go here as well.

New Section Needed?

Postby Etownlax » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:33 pm

Chris,

I think you should add a "Newbie's" section. Many here have been rather upset with all the questions coming that have already been answered questions, so rather than fill up topics, we should have a New Folder(like that off Joe Cell) that is marked something like newbie questions. This will allow people to be more focused on other stuff rather than already answered questions. But there will always be someone who answers the questions in that section.

Here's a link of what another site has done...

Its just a "simple" idea as to deal with the problem.

-Randy
Etownlax
Regular Poster

Postby thirsty » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:46 am

Hello.

I know im only a realtively new member here and my say on how this foum is run doesnt mean much, but heres my thoughts anyway.

I think a newbie section is a very good idea. I have been doing alot of reading the last few weeks and there is alot of questions that pop up over and over and over... this really makes it difficult to filter through and find the vast amount of excelent material that is mixed in with the repitition. This mostly effects the "Electrolysis & Hydrogen Applications" section.

A newbie section would be one way to remedy the issue but I have another idea that might work. Rather than having a section where the same questions will still need to answered over again, we could have a section for FAQs and Tech articles. The section would be for people to post the answers to the various questions that continue to pop up in the form or well written answers or how to documents. This way when someone asks a question they can just be directed to the relevant thread. The section would need some input to get it going but in the long run it could be very valuable. It could also help to bring more people to a higher level of research faster and a be way for existing members to remind themselves or certain details.
thirsty
Regular Poster

Postby Art » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:01 am

seem as i am new here also i love both ideas for i have spent endless hours reading and like outhers have said i find the same questions over and over and i find my self wanting to ask some questions just come to find they have allready been ask then when they have been ask several times the answer is that much harder to find
the how to maby someone here will be willing to put up one of their easy,cost effective,simple and well documented out dated desinges could work well for new guys to understand what we are doing here
you know maby some of posters can help with this "I KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A HAND IN THIS AND COULD GIVE SOME NEWBBIE INPUT TO THIS 8)

KEEP ON KEEPING ON
Art
Regular Poster

Postby Art » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:48 am

Chris
could you run a thread asking outher users in the Electrolysis & Hydrogen Applications about their ideas and thoughts on this very important subject??
I think all of us would contrubite to this for it will cut down on repeted questions and more importantly the need for repeated answers
i myself would love to also to be able to give a hand with the help of outher users to maby orgnize some of the info
you have given us a great place to collective think so i and outhers would like to help to fast track some of our new members to were we are (or at least in the ball park)i know this sounds like we want all of the answers but that is far from the case. we just want a guide not the very step by step hold my hand to were any certin members are maby with some thoughts from our members we could come to make a great site even better

i know you have a lot on your plate but i hope we can all do this toghter

thank you please let us know what you think(even if this means that we could do this even if it wont happen for a little while)

keep on keeping on
Art
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:05 am

Etownlax, thirsty, Art

Chris has made such a wonderful site for us users. Newbie's Section could be open under each forum topic. Now if this topic, is always used or viewed and results in allot of hits. This would prove to Chris that a New forum folder is needed. Now all the post could be moved to the new folder.

Art, you said you were willing to help. How about Etownlax and thirsty? When a newbie asked a question, you could help if you have the answer or point them to a post that has the answer. Even better you could copy and paste the answer to the new topic. As a registered user you could help too.. I would be willing to help also. We're (largely) volunteers. We take time out of busy lives to answer questions, and at times we're overwhelmed with them. So we filter ruthlessly. In particular, we throw away questions from people who don't do there research.

Basic stuff..
The kind of answers you get to your technical questions depends as much on the way you ask the questions as on the difficulty of developing the answer. Ask questions in a way more likely to get you a satisfactory answer.

Before asking a question do the following:

1 .Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
2. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum
3. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
4. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers.

Take your time. Do not expect to be able to solve a complicated problem with a few seconds of Googling. Read and understand the forum and the topic's, sit back, relax and give the problem some thought before approaching . I generally can tell from most questions, how much reading and thinking most did, and will be more willing to help if you come prepared. Don't instantly fire your whole arsenal of questions just because your first search turned up no answers (or too many).

Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all. The more you do to demonstrate that having put thought and effort into solving your problem before seeking help, the more likely you are to actually get help.

[b]On the other hand, making it clear that you are able and willing to help in the process of developing the solution is a very good start. “Would someone provide a pointer?â€
Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:35 am

We all should keep our emotions in check when answering questions. I know it's hard. But most registered newbies need help and need to be warned the dangers of Hydroxy.
Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby Art » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:11 am

thanks rich after hours of reading i feel i have not even scratched the very outer surface but i am finding my own answers i hope to get enough info to start a thread to help with the newbie questions on h2 production some about simple cell desings power to cells and so on
i hope to do this soon
i thank you and all of all of our peers @ OUpower

keep on keeping on
Art
Regular Poster

Return to Website Operations