[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - PICO turbine wind generators

PICO turbine wind generators

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby adam666 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:11 pm

so your still on the grid?

I would like to be independant of grid, not gonna happen for a while but at least try and offset it.

I was thinking without batteries loads could be:

a. water heating (would need large inverter!)

b. a steam distillation/filtering unit

c. hydrogen electrolyser

d. heating elements as extra for 'solar' heat collecting type spaces?

e. and, of course plenty of lights :)

apart from say a huge fuel cell / or h2 powered generator to convert the h2 back I still cant see any way to 'store energy' without batteries :(

edit:
in saying that I guess you could just make 'lots' of capacitors to store it all in :shock: depending on voltages converters for either direction....
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby kww » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:22 pm

Yep, still on the grid. By the time I buy all the stuff to run my AC, pool, freezer, and the rest I'd be broke. All to pay a power bill I can pay in about 4 hours of work/month. It just doesn't make since for me, not now at least. I do like the idea of being off grid and quite a few times every year I am, unexpectedly. LOL

The idea I like about the most for my situation is to have two steam engines, I've got lots of wood. I can build an alternator that'll put out 120vac at close enough to the right frequency and just use the high amp draw stuff when I've got the larger engine running it and have a small engine that runs it most all the time for near continuous power. Could probably rig up a solar collector to power the small engine on sunny days, in the winter the exhausted steam could be used to heat the house.
kww
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Heck, even with 2KW in PV solar here I am still on-grid for my heavy power consumers like water heater, heat pump, water pump, washer/dryer, and refridgerator/freezer. If I had a heavier true sine wave inverter set that was 120/240 I would be able to shift more of those loads over to my solar power. They just get way too much money for those fancy heavy duty inverters. I end up with a large surplus in my battery bank now.

I have a solar collector in storage earmarked for my hot water but in the winter I would need a heat exchanger and run an antifreeze in the exterior loop. So far I have not gone through the hassle of setting that up. Too many other projects of higher priority. ;-)

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby kww » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:30 am

With your knowhow I figured you'd build your own inverter...I even plan on building one eventually, wish me luck. :-)

I wonder what would happen if you made a big hydroxy generator, ran it off the solar panels, ran a 10hp(?) engine off the gas, which turned an alternator and produced 120/240vac at 60hz? Lot's of losses I'm sure. However, now you charge batteries and invert, both of which could be mostly eliminated, if not completely with a little gas storage, fill 1000's of 2 liters. ;-)
kww
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:47 am

And who's going to walk into the room to do maintenance on that set of thousands of 2 liters ...all filled with highly explosive hydroxy? :cry:

If you watch closely all of the research into hyrdoxy and cars here has been for production on demand and NOT storing the stuff.

It would be such a simple matter to store it for later use. It might be a bit more challenging maintaining your own life in that environment however. :wink:

HYDROXY (Hydrogen + Oxygen together) storage is a VERY bad idea.

Hydrogen storage done properly is much safer, and I'd still be worried about doing that!
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby kww » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:30 am

I was joking about that, but now you got me thinking again. :wink: Giant floating tanks. In our case, giant ballons. Keep them high enough that if they blew it'd be no big deal. A tube would connect them for filling and supply, if they come lose the gas comes out. High winds would be the biggest problem I guess.
kww
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:13 pm

adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:54 pm

-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby kww » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 pm

kww
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:50 pm

Yup, still leaks :)
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby kww » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:34 pm

kww
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:13 am

Ok, Ive settled on the turbine Im gonna go wit, A fisher&paykel turbine!

Oh, and it just so happens Ive got a F+p washing machine under my house I was planning on using AGES ago but forgot about :)

hehe and I just found one on the side of the road with "FREE" written on it as well, must be fate :)

using the design of Glenn from thebackshed.com

the newer version, not the kitset.

and Ive found a local guy that serves ups systems I can get SLA batteries off too so hopefully the price is right :)
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Freedomfuel » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:24 pm

Freedomfuel

Postby adam666 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:33 am

adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:37 pm

Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Solar, Wind & Off-Grid Projects