[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - battery score

battery score

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby 12volt dan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:58 am

The batts arn't doing so well

I had them charging for a few days to get them up and diconnected them to see how they were. The dropped to 12.30 over the next night which isn't so good. The good news is they have stayed there for 2 weeks now without dropping any further so there's some life yet. I'm not going to hook them up with the main batteries for obvious resons but I think I can charg them from the aux side of the MX-60 and use them for some kind of seperate back up system.

On the generator shed front,Ive managed to take some batts from the old house bank,an odd panel and the old controller and gave the shed it's own power supply

The batts tucked under the engine quite well for space saving which I need since this shed is only 100 sq ft including the walls (1 ft thick cordwood)

and the controller seems to like it in here,It has a use again :D

Lots more to do yet before this thing is running but we're making progress again
10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Off-Grid battery maintenance

Postby SeaMonkey » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 am

Lead Acid Battery maintenance can be quite a challenge.

Fortunately there have been some recent advances in technology which are easy to implement and have proven very effective.

Look into "desulfators" and "desulfator circuits." They are very simple circuits which utilize components very similar to those used in the PWM; they are quite easy to make and test and adjust; and they consume very little power.

Once a home made desulfator is installed in conjunction with your normal charging setup you should find that "equalization" as it is normally thought of is no longer necessary.

The desulfator will keep your battery bank in top condition and even restore those batteries that have lost some of their capacity.

The number of off-gridders who have discovered this "secret" is growing rapidly.

Let us all know what your experiences are after you've tried it!
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:55 am

"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:00 am

Hey Bob,

Using a PIC, I can discharge in cycles and extend the battery life almost indefinitely, as well, the surface equalization charge will allow the bursts to continue long after the battery should be toast. the amperage is lost over time, but not the voltage. it is the strangest phenomenon to have a battery completely drained of amps, but still show good fully charged volts.

I sent the E-mail a while back, but I think I included my Phone number. I talked to Mark, and he gave me your number. it was no good, so at that time I sent the e-mail to the only address I have for you. it was the one that you sent me a message from. I really would like to call you, as it is quite important. I am prepping a vehicle to run 100% "off GRID" for a journey from here to Virginia Beach. this means: Electric, and Hydrogen Fuel. I have some technical questions, I do not intend this to be a permanent fixture, as my time spent in any given province or state will be mere hours. I cannot get this system certified to comply with US EPA regs, or the CARB specs. it's cleaner than the Tesla Motors car, in that in operation it uses NO CARBON FUEL. Tesla must re-charge their cars....mine? recharge as I go. It's a combination of Generator, Batteries, Electric Motor, Hydraulics, Hydraulic Motor, and Hydrogen Fuel. I might put a solar panel on the roof for fun. maybe even tow a trailer with my Cushman Trike- for use as a runabout vehicle.

Whichever e-mail address you sent me a message from, is the one that I sent my Phone Information to. Thanks a BUNCH!

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby 12volt dan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:27 am

[quote="AlaskaStar"] Run the DISCHARGE cycle (load bearing) in PULSES, and batteries will last almost forever. [/quote]

like a modified pulse width? I seem to remember somthing about the Trace C-60 being used as a load control.

What's a PIC?
10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:01 pm

PIC= Programmable Integrated Circuit.

Hence the term: PIC Chips.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Previous