[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Solar Stirling engine

Solar Stirling engine

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby Jehu » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 pm

So, you have 2 sets of windings on the same bobin right? Both 40gauge I take it? When you mean Gauge is that in B&S or SWG? What was the core material? Sorry for all the questions but as my Tech teacher said the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Flashbang, I was also giving more thought to your comment about the flywheel on most engines and why not a linear (up/down) alternator instead. Think about how the a piston - or the mag in a shake flash light - moves. Once it gets to the top of its stroke, you have to put more energy into it to reverese its direction. IMHO it seems like that is a large waste of energy. And you can't rely on gravity to help you much because of the short stroke length.

Now this makes me think, would it be better to use a turbine instead? because or its rotary motion conserving any kinetic energy could it actually be moer effecient?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:01 am

Spool material/ Bobbin material is made of LOW CARBON COLD ROLL 1-inch diameter mild steel. According to the "Elements of Electricity" Charts, Low Carbon, Mild Steel has the highest Gauss rate for use in magnetism.

Two windings on EACH coil is correct. There is 2 coils PER MAGNET. Similar in configuration to the J. Naudin site/ John Bedini, but different in actual operation.

I found that I can degauss over a period of time and gather/ garner electricity in the middle.

AWG 41 wire, Magnet Type, with NEMA rated poly-coating.

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:35 am

Ahh, I get the picture. I was thinking this was looking alot like a Bedini style core. Just instead of the magnet moving over the top of the coil, it's a rod of iron.

Is the iron rod connected to the coils or just free like the bedini magnets?
Any circuitry like in the Bedini circuit or do the coils go straight to the multimeter/load? I take it the second coil is to increase the current available from the coil?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:09 am

I actually posted a better description of HOW it works in the HHO section of:
http://www.beawindhog.com

There is a forum, and my Friend Scott Stevens owns/ runs it.

He is 2 years younger than I and he actually tries some pretty exotic stuff with the experiments he does.

There is a 'Donated only' section for PAID MEMBERSHIP. I donated about $2K worth of materials (including a car that was next to new condition...) and got membership in that end of the board.

You wouldn't have to donate that much though, far far far less than I did. Besides, he lives next to my MOTHER IN LAW!! Great for watching her hair get grayer by the day as he blows stuff up!

Seriously, you oughta check it out. The turbines he has are awesome. I helped install a set of them.

Back on topic...I could cut/ paste my post from there to here.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:53 am

Yeah keep things here for now. Keeps it all neat and together rather than info over all different forums. Gets too confusing otherwise.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:20 am

humm, I thought the mental picture that I was getting from your descriptions looked familar.

from www.rip-n-guitar.com

from someones photobucket

humm, got me thinking now.

<5mins later>

Ok, I just grabbed my Bass and chucked my Multimeter onto the end of the Guitar lead. Giving the E string (the big thick one) a good upwards pluck I got 179mV AC out of it. Giving all the 4 strings a strum I got over 200mV AC out of it.

The Bass is a Session oad series P-Bass (Fender P-Bass rip off) and the Multimeter is a Fluke 112 True RMS meter.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:25 am

Since you are thinking...

Think about a large 10:1 transformer. This type drops voltage, but increases amperage. Now go with a 1:10 transformer (typically found in automotive ignition systems) you gain voltage but lose your amperage.

This is because they are wound on an Iron core. Now do it with a magnet. You gain your voltage and keep your amperage on the 1:10 system. You can keep your voltage and amperage on the 10:1 system.

NOTE: I AM PULLING 10:1 and 1:10 RATIOS OUT OF MY ASS HERE FOR CONVERSATION SAKE.

The power doesn't come from some cosmic energy. It comes from degaussing the magnet. The magnet WILL DIE. It is a DEATH SENTENCE for the magnet. Magnets are cheap, and the power from them lowers your cost in the end.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:14 am

And magnets can be regaussed at a later date anyway. Humm, interesting idea.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:51 am

Just casting my mind back over the stuff I did in 1st year electrical, I've got a rough idea of what's going on with this.

Because you have a permanant magnet at the end of the coil's core, when the iron rod first approaches the end of the coil, the flux density of the coil drops as the field lines are now moving to the outside edge of the iron rod. This will cause a current to be produced in the coil for the first part of the cycle's wave. Then as the rod moves toward the center, the field density increases and then decreases as the rod leaves the other side of the coil on the second part of the wave.

Now here comes the good bit. Once the rod leaves the effective strected range of the magnet coil, the magnetic field snaps back to it's original position creating another, big, fat, pulse of voltage/current in the coils.

Am I on the right track here?

Now one thing that you haven't mentioned is the effect of the magnetic field on the iron rod. I think it is Lenz's Law that states when a conductor passes through a magnetic field a voltage is induced into the moving conductor. Now with waht that law states, what prevents us from grabbing some more power from that rod?
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm

The "moving" part doesn't have to be 'mechanical' movement, as such for MAGNETIC movement, which is invisible to the naked eye, but the physical movement is still there....

And you are right on track there. The vaveforms are EXACTLY as you stated, which is pretty much what is going on.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 pm

Right. Looks like I'll have to get me some more magnet wire.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Solar, Wind & Off-Grid Projects