[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - build your own wind turbine

build your own wind turbine

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby datalorr » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:11 pm

saving the planet
datalorr

Postby 12volt dan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:21 am

If you like building your own windmills then here's a site for you

http://www.fieldlines.com/

These guys live for home made wind projects
10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Postby datalorr » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:30 pm

thats a good site thanks, there seems to be more like minded poeple than i thought
saving the planet
datalorr

Postby ww » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:21 pm

That Horizontal wind generater was cool. So cool I used the left over pieces
from my WFC to build a small one last night. I might even add that to my
project list to see what I could actually get out of one. No special materials
needed is right up my alley. I have access to pallets to use for the main
support frame work and some thin materal for the blades should be easy
enough to come up with.

Since the plastic dealers in my area seem to think that a couple square
feet of 1/2 plexiglass is worth 5 times more than I paid for my stainless
steel. They want $40 for 2 square feet of 1/2 can you believe that!!

ww
ww

Postby buddog » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:52 am

buddog
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:59 am

Replace the alternator rotor with a permanent magnet design and the average auto alternator becomes more usable and efficient at lower RPM. Why waste power generating the field that permanent magnets can provide. With the current availability of rare earth magnets at fairly low cost, this can be done pretty easy.

Homebrew rotors and stators can be much better performers however.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby buddog » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 am

Bob. Sounds good I have a lot of old alernators but I don't know how to do the conversion. I've read about units being built from old brake rotors. I will need my research here.
buddog
Regular Poster

Postby Etownlax » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:04 pm

As far as a 12v and 24v system goes, if you feed 24v into 12v batteries does the batteries convert the extra voltage into amps or is it just "wasted" energy?

And what are some easy to build saftey mechinisms(sp?) that can automaticaly deploy in case of too high of winds?

Thanks,

-Randy
Etownlax
Regular Poster

Postby jackofalltrades » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:04 pm

jackofalltrades
Regular Poster

wind power sites

Postby ronsmith » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:39 pm

ronsmith

PMA Delco 10si Alternator

Postby tdhardee » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Tony Hardee
tdhardee

Re: build your own wind turbine

Postby RobbieN30 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 am

after 6 years, I'm here to comment.
I'm sure your done with a few projects now with wind judging by how detailed you were with your plan
but if ever you wanted or needed a reliable source of other info with wind generator plans
there are already a few out here in the web.

Thanks to people (with like minds) who either persevere to help our planet with renewable energy and/or
those who want to find alternative energy.
RobbieN30

Re: build your own wind turbine

Postby RobbieN30 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

RobbieN30

Return to Solar, Wind & Off-Grid Projects