[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Best ways to store power

Best ways to store power

Do you have some solar or wind turbine projects you are working on? Perhaps you would like to move toward an "Off-Grid" lifestyle? You've come to the right place.

Postby ww » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:29 pm

ww

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:53 am

Can you buy VRB systems or the components to build your own anywhere? It sounds like something I'd enjoy looking into.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Method of storing energy

Postby spinning-magnets » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:36 pm

I know this won't work for just about anyone, but...

I decided I want to retire to a small farm in the country, and one option for storing energy is to use a windmill to pump water to an elevated water tower. The windmill will actually be on top of the water tower. When 12 volts DC is needed, a valve is opened so a pipe flows water to a small high-RPM pelton wheel which turns a common 130-amp truck alternator. Add 19 PSI for every 10 feet of water elevation, 40 feet is 76 PSI.

A "sucker-pump" for water wells or the oil industry is reliable, simple, and available, but if I had more time than money, I can make a crude copy of the ancient "Al-Jazari" piston pump for free, from junk.

I figured I was going to have an elevated water tower anyways for easy water flow into the house, next to the upper storage pond (the lower pond might be stocked with fish) If all I need is power tools, pumps, fans, music, etc, I can do most of that with 12 VDC.

In cities its almost impossible to get permission to put up any kind of a wind turbine (from people who claim to care about the environment) -Ron
A hydrogen ion walks into the Cathode bar and orders a drink. The bartender asks "why are you so sad? The Ion replys "I lost an electron". The bartender asks; "are you positive"?
spinning-magnets
Regular Poster

Postby 12volt dan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:34 am

That will work,in fact that kind of storage is used comercialy so it must work somewhat well. I've thought of using it here but with freezing in the winter it won't be mch use for the times when I realy need it.

An old turbo from a small truck would make a fine turbine :)
10 years off grid and counting
12volt dan
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Solar, Wind & Off-Grid Projects