[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - ALUMINIUM AND CAUSTIC SODA(LYE) TO PRODUCE HYDROGEN???????

ALUMINIUM AND CAUSTIC SODA(LYE) TO PRODUCE HYDROGEN???????

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

ALUMINIUM AND CAUSTIC SODA(LYE) TO PRODUCE HYDROGEN???????

Postby paulo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:43 am

Hi everyone!!
I have been reading some topics of this forum and i haven't found (yet) a topic that "speeks" about this!!!
Apparently mixing water, caustic soda and aluminium produces a chemical reaction and releases a kind of gas!!!
I have done the experiment and i noted that is true!!!
Now my question is: is it really hydrogen or some other type of gas??
And if it is, how can i store it??
Does anyone have any knowledge in this area so we all can discuss about this??

note:be careful working with caustic soda and water! it is very corrosive!!!

ps: sorry my english writing!!! :)
paulo

Postby Brett » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:33 pm

Is this the test we all used to do in high school :)

im afraid it was a while ago for me so i couldnt tell u the gasses produced, but i would hazard a guess that it isnt only hydrogen..

One way to store pure hydrogen is using metal hydride storage a google search should bring up some info
Brett
Regular Poster

Postby googolp » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 am

This reaction creates only one gas, H2. The only problem is the NaOH vapour it often produces, not a very happy vapour. Here are the equations.

2 Al + 6 H2O ---> 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 H2

Al(OH)3 + NaOH ---> Na+ + [Al(OH)4]-

The sodium hydroxide can be simply taken out but passing all of the gasses and vapours from the reaction through a water scubber. The water only lets the gasses float to the top and out of the scubber. Multiple scubbers are always nice, they also help cool the H2.

Don't quote me, I'm not chemist. This is what I have gathered from various websites that I didn't check the sources of.
googolp

Postby chemelec » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:52 am

Yes, It Creates Hydrogen.
So Does Sulphuric Acid and Zinc, Hydrochloric Acid and Zinc, Or Nitric Acid and Zinc. Plus Hundreds of Other Chemical Reactions.

Problems:
1) It can be Very Expensive to get any Reasonable Quantities of Hydrogen with these reactions.
2) And Where do you Dispose of all the Used-Up Chemicals?

Gary
If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby johnh » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:50 am

johnh
Regular Poster

Postby Kevlar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:32 am

Kevlar

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis