[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Chemalloy as an Electrode Material

Chemalloy as an Electrode Material

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby Orange_Crusader » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 pm

Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:29 am

the whole point to its amazing ability is it doesnt get consumed in the process! AFAIK :lol:

I too have been meaning to get some for a while!

supposed to be awesome for preparing the soil for planting seedlings too!!
there might be hope for my tomatos :shock:
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:30 pm

It's been so long that I don't remember all of the pertinent details. I was not interested in replicating once others test results became apparent. I think it was on a couple of the alternative energy forums that Bruce frequented at that time.

The claims were that it was a catalyst and was not consumed in the process, which was what prompted many to try it. It was also claimed that it would produce a usable voltage/current at the same time it was releasing hydrogen or hydroxy gas. Testing by numerous people showed that it actually was slowly consumed in the process. This happened no matter whether it was used as a battery, or used an an electrolyser electrode. Not sure about what was left behind as a waste product. You may want to try doing searches in the archives of some alternative energy forums.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:22 pm

aha good to know bob,

hadnt tried it myself, but only had the patent description to go by.

so it is used up in the process, but each rod will supply ~.5v while generating oxyhydrogen at the same time.

still a fairly nice sort of arrangement if set up correctly
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Orange_Crusader » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:40 pm

The patent claims that its battery potential did not go down, for a period of seven years+, with only water being replaced periodically. If it can last that long, or a fraction of that, I'm happy.

I'll search a few forums (any particulars, Bob?), and see if I can find any results or comments on it.

Commenting that

It produces pure hydrogen (seemingly, since oxygen isn't mentioned), so byproducts are kept in the container, possiibly oxidized versions of metals in, or of Chemalloy itself. Perhaps it only has a very, very high oxidation state, to. I can't see an easy way of testing that they still are Chemalloy, and not broken-down parts of it (starting metals). There are ways, like reacting it with various acids and chemicals to see what happens (colour change, precipitate), but I don't have the various needed chemicals. I might be able to convince my chem teacher to let me do some tests after school (or at lunch) to test what's in the used-up powder. I'll also do tests of the unused Chemalloy (in cold water, so it doesn't all react during the test on me) powder to see what happens, and compare results.

If the used powder shows identical, or very, very similar results (small tolerance for inconsitencies in tests), then we'll know the chemical compound has been altered, and we can narrow it down to one or two specific (or all of the metals, as the case may be) metals that react. Could be as simple as an acid-metal reaction, but the amount of production shown in the video, and its being increased (or started in the first place, using the bars) by electricity, along with no tests results to go by (my own or otherwise, as of this moment) keep me from saying that for certain.

It could simply oxidise, in which case we should be able to de-oxidise the metal with a strong NaOH solution, or using another metal (like aluminium) that is a powerful oxidiser (oxygen remover). Should be doable in a methanol, or other oxygen donor-free liquid, I think. Having a small "station" to re-charge the Chemalloy would be awesome if possible. Once it's used up, run it through the machine, and re-use, keeping one "batch" in a vacuum for use while the other is de-oxidized. We'll see how it goes.

Should be interesting. :)
Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby thrival » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 am

Orange:

Personally, I would prefer methods that require as
few "stations" for recharging as possible, unless
we're talking rest stops.
thrival
Regular Poster

Postby Orange_Crusader » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:53 pm

By stations, I don't mean gas stations, or a variation of them, except to add water.

A small machine that sits at home, plugs into the wall, and can de-oxidise the powder, to make it usable again. Maybe re-smelting it (much harder to incorporate) into bars, since that makes them a bit more managable.

At least, I hope that restocking the bars or powder won't be needed that often, I'd prefer to keep costs a bit lower than needing to buy more powder, plus water, once a week if we can't re-charge it. Used powder can be sent back to the company for recycling, re-use, etc. A bit like those large water cooler jugs.

Hopefully, the onlt thing needed at rest stops it to have the human part get a snack, and maybe top off the water a bit.

Somehow, I'm seeing Big Oil catching on (if this works well), and bumping up the price of water, so that we have to resort to filling up tanks in the middle of the night from a neighbor's garden hose.

I think we could put regular (dirty) water into it, provide a filter/deionizer on the way to the cell, and go from there. Brita filters in parallel, anyone?

I have my chemistry teacher officially interested, and permission to do tests with the bars/powder, both used and unused, once I get it. Full access to the high school's chemistry "stash", in other words. There's a million things I want to do with it, but I'll have to stick to this (for the time being...). :)
Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby Aspectus » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 am

Don't worry about water prices.
Maybe distilled water sold in walmart will get high price, but water from your ;local water company can not race it's price without government permition, caouse it's count's as monopoly.

If we pay good taxes the government will like us better that oil companies.

Anyway, i went ahead and bouht chemaloy bars, didn't had chance to test it yet, but first thing i did stuck it in hot water to see if it makes H2.
And guess what happened? nothing i waited 10 min no h2 was produced.
I have to try it in electrolicis.
well anyway good luck.
Aspectus
Regular Poster

Postby skibum13 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:54 pm

skibum13
Regular Poster

Postby Orange_Crusader » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:08 pm

Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby Aspectus » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:44 am

Aspectus
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:06 am

Loster has been banned from the OUPower.com forum effective 5/15/2007 11:45 EST

My apologies to any that he has offended.
-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby Orange_Crusader » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:42 pm

Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Loster has been banned from the OUPower.com forum effective 5/15/2007 11:45 EST

My apologies to any that he has offended.
-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby Aspectus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:15 am

Aspectus
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis