[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - New electrolyzer

New electrolyzer

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

New electrolyzer

Postby eco » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 pm

Hi,

today I tested my new electrolyzer, it consists of 8 plates which are 8"x 6".
From the surface of the plates we should substract the width of the gasket which is 0.5". The electrolyzer is opened from the top. The space between the plates is 3mm. The electrolyzer is filled with electrolyte which has 25% concentration of NaOH. The electrolyzer along with the bubbler is put into a water sealed container which only has a gas outlet hose. The container is filled 3/4 with water. The container, just like the electrolyzer doesn't leak.
Measurements:
The electrolyzer is connected to a turned on car. The Voltage was 14.5V.
After I turned on the electrolyzer, the Voltage dropped down to 14.2V and the electrolyzer current consumption was 10.2 amps. After that, the current slowly dropped down to 7 amps. With 7 amps. I measured the gas production of 0.7 litres/m.
After 30 min. the current started to rise to come to it's maximum of 10.5 amps., and the gas production was 1L/m. This kind of production went on for another hour, which is when I stopped testing.
What is the cause of these current oscillations?
Maybe the water which is consumed for the production of gas.
My previous eletrolyzer also had plates which were 8"x 6" and it was more effective. How do I get to Bob's 1.5L/min using 10-11 amps?
Where is the defect and what is the effectiveness of this electrolyzer?

Eco
eco
Regular Poster

Postby arcainmachineist » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 pm

ok heres a dumb question has anyone tried other metals besides stainless? i have some titainium and some chrome too and some tungsten carbide
arcainmachineist
Regular Poster

Postby pertyfly » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:45 pm

Can I have some?!? :-)
pertyfly
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:45 pm

longevity is the only issue when it comes to materials

titanium might do well!!

after all, it is part of a good family!! aka platinum, rodium etc
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:27 am

eco
Regular Poster

Re: New electrolyzer

Postby dkmacmillan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 pm

dkmacmillan

Postby pertyfly » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:51 pm

pertyfly
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:11 pm

eco
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:19 pm

Hi,
when I cleaned my electrolyzer, I realized that the electrolyte is brown. The gasket that I put in between then plates is also the same colour. This gasket is a compound of cork and some sort of rubber. I think that the electrolyte dissolved the gasket and the electrolyte conductivity was lowered. Maybe this is the reason why the electrolyzer couldn't consume more than 10.5 amps.

Eco
eco
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:18 am

eco
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:35 am

-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby eco » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:45 pm

eco
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:25 pm

Hi

How I calculate gas production using Faraday's law,how can I compare the production of my electrolyser using Faraday's law.
eco
Regular Poster

Postby nakros » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:26 am

Eco,

Tero, on the egas yahoo groups posted this message about Faraday calculations:

He even has a set of sample calculations attached as .pdf.
nakros
Regular Poster

Postby eco » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:09 pm

Thank's nakros :)
eco
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis