[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - low volt, high amp electrolysis, parallel cell config

low volt, high amp electrolysis, parallel cell config

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

low volt, high amp electrolysis, parallel cell config

Postby resident_genius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm

well, sorry its to darn dark, i even moved the lamp over so it was brighter. ohwell. i vocalized everything anyways. feel free to comment on youtube or on here, ask any questions!

again, cells have not been leak tested, nor fittings leak tested, and only running at 2/3 the full amperage. on top of everything, the old electrolyte got contaminated when i left a wooden spoon sit in it for a few days. it foamed up like crazy!

very strong KOH and four stage micron filtered water mixture.... doesnt produce barely anything right now, just a first test. had to teflon those plastic fittings to get them to seal properly, will replace with brass hopefully soon.

anywho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSGGQgY3e-s
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm

what is interesting to note is the actual wattage being used here. i know, production sucks as of now. i've got to condition the plates, improve my electrolyte, and a and leak test everything.... those white plastic fittings i'm using are notorious for leaking. i hate using them, i just had em lying around so i threw them on.

anywyas! wattage used.

each cell was t around 7-7.5 ampheres. each cell was seeing 2.66 volts max. so 2.66 volts, times 15 ampheres.... thats 39.9 watts!

and total wattage used i can only guess at, but i DO know that the input amperage was 14 DCV and it enters hiccup mode RIGHT around five amps. so lets say 14 times 5.... thats just under 60 watts total. pretty cool figures if you ask me.
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby mos68x » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm

mos68x
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 am

those are light switch plates, a conservative measurement is 2" by 4".... two positives, two negatives.... positive comes in the middle two plates, and has two outer negavies connected by a strap.

so essentially, i've got 32 sq in of surface area per cell. i didnt measure how much KOH, i'd imagine i put in about 4-5teaspoons. per two liters of water to that. whats interesting to note is that the amperage is dependent upon the voltage. however, if you get your electrodes very close together, and make them very large, it will draw more amps for a given voltage. so if i had two cells,

one was ten inches by ten inches, put them 1/8" apart, put 12 DCV to them, and pulled thirty amps, and had another cell, two inches by two inches, 1/8" apart, and put 12 DCV to them, the amperage would be much much less. in order to pull thirty amps with the smaller cell, it'd take more voltage.

i found that with these cells, putting 5.0DCV to them pulled 25 amps with a strong solution. the solution that i call strong can splash onto my skin, and it wont even start to itch for about five minutes. because my cells are pretty fairly matched, and built pretty identically, figured out the point at which a negligibly higher DCV caused a jump in amperage and production: it was what i call the "breaking point". so i calculated the amperage i wanted to use, and a convenient number came up: 12. 12 *2 is 24 amps, and my power supply is limited to 25 amps. perfect!

so mos, that's my real world advice. not saying that some formula doesnt work, i just take as many variables out of the equation as possible, then try adjusting each plane until i get optimal results.

'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:41 pm

'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis