[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Neewbie Questions

Neewbie Questions

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Neewbie Questions

Postby garrcass » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 am

Garrcass Bucket of Propwash
garrcass

Postby resident_genius » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:12 pm

to divide and conquer:
crosshatching- a process where the electrodes are sanded in a lateral fashion with 60- or 80 grit sandpaper, then sanded longitudinally....look up how an internal combustion engine's cross hatching(in the cylinder walls) looks, you will see a bunch of squares sanded into the metal. this effectively gives the metal a much larger surface area, in the same manner as a K&N air filters have an accordian style surface- it increases surface area. any increase in surface area is an improvement and will raise effeciency. also- the peaks of the surface of the metal- once sanded in, are major areas of production. the more peaks you have, the more surface area you have, the better production for a given surface area.

conditioning- everyone seems to have a different method, and these cells use water- one of the least understood chemicals on earth. different voltages, different cell orientations, use of magnetic fields, etc- it gets complicated. however, one constant i have seen is this: a cell's total active surface area should not run more then 0.25 ampheres per square inch. however, if you should so choose to "push the cell a little harder" you can go up to 0.50 ampheres per square inch. personally? i run my cells in between the two. thats nothing more than my personal preference.....

so heres the deal. you have a target amperage for your cell. active surface area means the surface area between the anode and cathode. my cells have a total surface area of 64 square inches(four plates, 2 in x 4 in each. thats 16 sq in each plate, 16 x 4= 64 sq in.)

however, with the cell orientation of (-++-), the total active surface area is only 32 sq in (2 x 4= 8, 8 times 4= 32 sq in), 32 x 0.25= 8. so thats 8 ampheres. pushing the cell harder @ 0.50 amps per sq in would be 16 ampheres, so i took the mean of the two- and put my goal amperage @ 12 amps. again, my personal choice here. it is lower effeciency than running the cell @ 8 ampheres.

okay! so i have a target amperage, 12 amps per cell.
now, mix up the electrolyte to limit amps, or better method is to use a good ammeter, digital, with a PWM. set the PWM so the amperage draw is at 25% of total amps desired.. run this arrangement for at least 48 hours. be sure to check water level, heating, and amphere draw at least once an hour. if using a 12DCV power supply or the like, check those three things every twenty minutes for the first four hours or so. after a few days, increase the amperage to 50% of total. run for approx three days.
repeat for 75% and 100% of desired amperage.

cant stress this one enough- the first couple hours will determine rate of H20 consumption, for instance the cell may/will get very hot if you're running a full 12 volts to a single brute force setup. it is IMPERATIVE that you check the cell frequently during the first four hours, as the cell will "stabilize" within that time period. a good, cheap way to improve this is to use a computer power supply, however i'm not 100% sure how well a PWM will work with an input voltage of about 5 DCV. i'll leave that one to someone more qualified with electronics than I.

well! i have
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

thank you resident_genius

Postby garrcass » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Cell temperature>

as with most electric devices heat goes up with
amperage and vice versa.
along with a targeted amperage range for
surface area. Is there a target temperature area for
(dry cell style cells) and (wet cell style cells)

cell FREEZE >

it there a electrolyte additive to keep the electrolyte
mixture from freezing in harsh environments.
with out effecting the cell adversely.

Gasoline>

Is it necessary to lean out the gasoline mixture on
a combustion engine. to gain efficiency
when using a on demand hydrogen system.

Diesel>

how is efficiency gained on a diesel
engine
Garrcass Bucket of Propwash
garrcass

Postby resident_genius » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm

cell target temperature: production seems to go up with temperature, but it may also be because of the water's tendency to evaporate at higher temperatures. i like to keep my cell under 100*F, personally.

cell freeze: dont have mch data in the way of that. but i'm defiantely not the biggest brain here either.

necessary to lean out? not necessary, but gains are more easily seen with a leaner system. HHO is more of an enabler- however if you simply control your 02 sensor's signal so that is doesnt show a lean condition to the computer, gains will be seen.

diesel: i have no firsthand knowledge of HHO trial and use on diesel engines.
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Be very careful with the diesel engine.

Why?

Because when you add hydrogen, you reduce the amount of oxidizer available to "burn" / oxidize the diesel fuel. When the fuel doesn't oxidize, it will stay as a liquid on the tops of the pistons. if you have a 3CC combustion chamber....and you have 4 CC of fluid on top (doesn't take long to get that!!) the piston comes up, and the fluid DOES NOT COMPRESS. Something MUST give. Sometimes the connecting rod/ piston give out, but 9 out of 10 the head is hydraulically hammered off the block. In pieces. Yes. I have removed heads from diesel engines that have had too much hydrogen and they look terrible. The seats smashed in, and the head split.

In the Diesel engine arena, if you put an ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM on it, then REMOVE the injection system, you can see some serious gains from having a high compression spark ignited engine.

Also on the diesel engine, the gains from adding hydrogen amount to 1-2% PER YEAR, but are only realized in the engine oil. The oil after 10,000 miles is CLEANER than the oil in my gas powered rig after only 2,000 miles. So the oil stays cleaner, and when the oil change consists of 4 gallons of oil at $45 per gallon....the savings are huge, when you can go 3x further before needing an oil change to remove the soot, or lack thereof using hydrogen.

Savings on the diesel engine are found in the maintenance end of the deal not in the fuel mileage.

Those whom have a stationary diesel generator would benefit the most because the engine likely runs 24/7 and would require frequent oil changes.

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis