[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - First Build, A few questions

First Build, A few questions

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

First Build, A few questions

Postby Sportnmud » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:11 pm

I have been following the website for about a month and finally decided to build the smack's design. I got most of the parts from Lowe's and set off to building.

Hardest part to find was the nylon threaded rod, which I ended up ordering from SmallParts.com. Got a 2 ft section for less than $10 with shipping.

I have not tested my output, but it looks pretty strong. I also have not tested the amp draw because I have yet to replace my fried multimeter. The unit got pretty warm after about 20 minutes of running, but definetely not too hot to touch.
Once question I have, how much strain is this going to be putting on my alternator. When i connect the leads, i can instantly tell a loss in rpms, although very very slight. Also when the leads are connected the alternator instantly starts sort of whining sound as if its under heavy load. Wont the extra load conteract any fuel savings the unit may achieve?

I have 98 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 engine. -
Sportnmud

Postby glenn_aircooled » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Its really good to see what sort of Amps its drawing.
If I could not check the amps - I would dilute the concentration
of electrolyte so that it produced a bit less Hydroxy and see if that still
gets as hot after 40 mins.
When first testing with this unit - dont attempt to Thrash the thing to Death
to Make Heaps of Hydroxy and
with the possible shortening of Alternator life - just run it a bit easier
and see if you can measure the improvement in MPG.
Then if you get the instrument to test more - slowly increase electrolyte strength again.
Glenn
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

Postby glenn_aircooled » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55 pm

A huge load on the alternator will take power from the engine and negate
fuel gains.
The trick is to find just enough Hydroxy to improve hydroxy but produced
with the least amount of energy.
Thats why I like the Series cells. more efficient - dont waste power.
They are harder to make - but I reckon if you've made a Smack then you could make a series.
Glenn.
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

Postby Sportnmud » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Sportnmud

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis