[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Smacks cell questions

Smacks cell questions

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Smacks cell questions

Postby a3holerman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 am

Hi,
Am new here and am just getting started building a smacks booster. Have been doing all the searching I can and realize the smacks design isn't the best but its a good place to start. I have two questions if I may.

First, is the dimpling and sanding needed to be done on both sides of all plates or just the facing sides of the pairs?

Second question: It seems the heat is a big problem. It would seem that by adding a couple of floater pairs per side it would lower the pair voltage to a much more reasonable value therby lowering the heat dissipation. The problem then is where to put it. It won't fit in a 4" tube any more. What is the next size pvc or abs tube commonly available?

Has anyone tried this? Perhaps a 5"(if available) mounted horizontal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Tom
a3holerman
Regular Poster

Postby huck » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:20 am

huck
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:56 pm

dhho
Regular Poster

Postby glenn_aircooled » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Ok , I dont know a lot about Smack's...........
from what I've seen - all faces would be reactive so you will benefit from
all surfaces treated [ I think he tested different surface treatment -so go
with the suggested dents and scratches.]
I have wondered if the unit would work just a little more efficiently if
sitting against the bottom of the container.... with two squares of Perspex
wedged in to form sides.
This would still let leakage across the top - but would be interesting to see if helped some.
I would do it as suggested by designer - lower the concentration to get fairly low output and use it.
Then move on to more complex units ..... that way you are helping the environment
while you are experimenting. :)
If you havent made a unit yet, would you consider making a 7 cell
series unit .?
I am looking at designing a simpler unit that uses a Great sealant
called Sikaflex Tank.
Weggel used it and claimed it was excellent.
Glenn.
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

Postby injunbill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Hello everyone..new guy here...I just finished my first smacks ..made a few changes as I love to tinker and mess up a great dezign...dont know if I can get some pics on here but I did tune the unit long side down to get more water over the plates ....plastic coat on the out side plates and plexiglass on the sides I figured this would force more flow up the unit and help release more gas..????maybe..also it helps hold it snug in the case and maybe helps to elimanate stray voltage ???also iI put 2 jumpers of six gauge on the bottom to help keep it up off the bottom 1 inch...I just tested it and she works..another thing I tried on the second test was to put a poweful tube magnet on the bottom of the bubbler so the gas flows through it..Now check this out the bubbles come up as a whirpool..lots of bubbles every 1 second.??? no amp meter yet waiting for the post office.. question is..I have 2 extender kists that I paid way too much for..should I or could I just put them on..short one and long one on both o2 sensers and get an improvement on my milagae...96 olds 3.1..Oh I took the cat offf and the factory air cleaner...got a boost in milage with that.[/quote]
injunbill

any advise whould be considered

Postby injunbill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:03 pm

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll16 ... ll_photos/

above is the links to some pics..hope it works
injunbill

Postby huck » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Like the blue...does that stuff come in Orange too? :)

J/K...interesting what's the FINISHED project look like? i.e. what are you containing it with and how are you mounting it?
huck
Regular Poster

Postby injunbill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:24 pm

No orange but it does come in yellow....mc master car..plasti dip..dosnt seem tho mind the chemicals..lye..I am containing it at the momment in a 1 gal.wall plaster bucket..it seems to have a nice sealing lid..I have the terminals on the side covered in blue goo to seal them..easy to open and close..it fits snugly in the car..no room to move around..
injunbill

Postby huck » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Huck is a fan of J.B. Weld...to plug up holes =) but it's fairly permanent..
huck
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Aloha,
Thanks Huck for your support with comments on the Mr. G cell. Did you see the update to increase production 15%? Please attempt to disregard criticisms, some here are working at moving ahead.
There is helpful info on cell building in that file also (Mr G cell, mrgalleria project folder). Instead of JB weld, you may find Goop works well for many purposes too (stays soft, an advantage).
Tom, you may find a supplier of irrigation and drainage pipe that carries 6", no 5" available, to my knowledge. You could also use longer pipe, and separate your cell into narrower sections.
Heat is usually a product of too much acid-electrolyte. It may also be due to poor cell design. Don't give up, and follow designs which are proven.
Bill
mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Postby dingodog » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:11 am

dingodog
Regular Poster

Postby mrgalleria » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:38 am

Aloha,
Yes, I try to cover all edges (top & bottom) and outside surfaces. Any surface where you do not want actual production.
Bill
mrgalleria
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis