[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - From Scratch - No Experience

From Scratch - No Experience

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby Looking In » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:15 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby jpshydro » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Actually NaHO is worse than kOH on polycarbonate I was told by technical people in Sheffield Plastics that I might be able to get away with using a 1% to 3% solution of KOH, more than that I would have problems and eventually 1% to 3% solution with heat and water would destroy my box. I am building and testing to see what happens if interested will let you know what happens but NaHO would present as many or more problems but a real weak solution would probably work 1% to 2% but would do the same as KOH wasn't very postive. I also looked at PVC sheets but decided on Poly becasue it is clear, both products have advantages and disadvantages. Link to polycarbonate Fabrication Guide just in case you are interested. http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_do ... AK_FAB.pdf

Anyway thanks for the info and heads up this stuff really gets involved , if I understood when I started what I know now I would probably just gone and bought a kit of course that wouldn't have been any fun.
Thanks John
jpshydro
Regular Poster

Postby jpshydro » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi bill (mrgalleria)

Still plugging away got my 4 cell series going up and running. I called the flow meter people and got a conversion factor from air to hydroxy gas and plugged it into a formula on their website and found that I needed to convert it by 1.27 this would make it within +- 10% which was very thrilling? I talked to one of their engineers about this and other problems bottom line unless you put it under pressure all of the methods used to measure gas including your bucket will get you at best within +- 10% to 20% of correct measurement. He told me that their could be about 20% - 50% adjustment because of temperature, air pressure and humidity. There are formula's http://www.keyinstruments.com/pressure-temperature.html Look at the sample adjustment for air pressure that is the big one. Most of the bucket type things are low because you are moving water or putting the gas under pressure which will decrease the volume of the flow. All the things I posted are estimates but I think they are fairly close.

If you want to be where I am on gas put two G cells in a Mason Jar add one teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons of Sodium Hydroxide in the jar and make sure the G sells go from 1/4" above the bottom to about 1/4" below the top of the electrolyte in the jar and you will be generating what I am generating whatever it turns out to be.

I will only build 3 or 4 cells wired in series with 1 to 3 teaspoons of chemical I am using for the electrolyte because that will give me the most hydrogen generation per area and electrical power. And I will use a single pipe or bend a strip of SS along both sides because it moves the water more in my opinion like your g cells.

When I get my final version of my generators I will post them under projects with pictures.

Thanks for the G cells and the guidance it helped a lot
Thanks John
jpshydro
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:17 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis