[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - EFI sensor chain tuning…PINHEAD?

EFI sensor chain tuning…PINHEAD?

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

EFI sensor chain tuning…PINHEAD?

Postby mkc1962 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:55 pm

mkc1962
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Sat May 24, 2008 2:10 pm

For EVERYONE that is considering modifying your vehicle's sensor signals, you CAN NOT effectively tune without a scan gauge that can show live data from the ECU. You'll need to be able to monitor your CHT/CTS temp, IAT temp, open/closed loop status, check and clear codes, and it is very helpful to be able to see your Short Term and Long Term adaptive fuel trim info.

Since you've gotten this far, I'm going to assume you know how to use resistors to modify the sensor signals, so I won't go into those details unless someone asks.

The first sensor you want to tune is your CTS/CHT sensor. You have to find at what temp your electric fan kicks in, and if you don't have an electric fan, at what temp does your ECU go into internal cooling mode (your Hyundai has an electric fan so you won't really have to worry about internal cooling mode for the most part). If, for instance, your electric fan kicks in at 225°F you want to keep your temperature below that temperature. In my '99 F150 I set my CHT to 220°F once everything is fully warmed up. 215°F to 230°F is the range you want to set it. You should note that offsetting the CTS/CHT sensors could cause cold start problems. You'll probably want to add a switch in-line with your resistor so you can shut it off until the engine gets warm enough to run with the offset. Many people use a thermal switch that closes once it gets to a certain temp.

The IAT is the next sensor you'll want to address. Typically you want it in the range of 130°F to 150°F range on the hottest day of the year. **NOTE** The IAT is one of the ECU's two main determining sensors that control ignition timing, the other being your MAF. You will have to make performance tests to determine the perfect temperature offset for your IAT. The IAT generally won't cause cold start problems.

Most vehicles generally don't have AFR's and O2's together; I'm not exactly sure which your vehicle has (they work differently). The O2 sensor signal can be modified using an EFIE or similar device (I think someone on the forum has built a new-and-improved version of the EFIE). IIRC, I believe the original EFIE had a design flaw that would burn out the transformers. The oxygen sensors generally only have control over the mixture at medium to light loads and cruise, and therefore you don't have to worry about damaging your engine by setting the O2's leaner.

Get out on the highway and cruise along, using no more than 1/4 throttle. Lightly feather the throttle to get a feel for your current throttle response and performance (1/4 throttle or less). Once you have your baseline, you can start modifying the O2 sensor signal. Make a small adjustment and compare your before/after performance. Once your throttle response starts to get soggy and performance drops, go back to your next best setting. **NOTE** A loss in throttle response and/or power denotes a loss in combustion efficiency. If your engine is running worse than before and you lose any noticeable power, you've gone too far.

There are different types of MAF sensors as outlined in the tuning article; I don't know exactly which one your vehicle has so I can't give you any specific guidance. However, I was able to add resistance to the signal wire of my MAF to offset it a bit. **NOTE** The MAF and MAP sensors are your load sensors. Offsetting these two sensors too far can easily cause damage to your engine. You tune these sensors the same as your O2's, except your romp on it instead of 1/4 throttle or less and you want to start at slightly richer than stock. **DOUBLE NOTE** Do not hold it at WOT for very long. You only want to be able to detect a performance drop. Staying under load too long while running too lean can melt pistons, valves, etc.

Once you feel a performance decrease, go back TWO OR THREE previous settings. This is for safety and longevity; getting great mileage doesn't help any if you have to buy a new car/engine a month down the road.

On my '99 F150 I added a 200k ohm resistor on the MAF signal wire. Note that Ford and Mazda uses high-impedance sensors. Where I need 15 or 20 k-ohms across my sensors, you'll probably need closer to 5k.

I've probably forgotten something; I'm at work right now and am distracted. ;) Ask more questions and I'll try to answer the specifics as much as I can.

Here's a picture of my current heat exchanger.

I don't know exactly what temp the fuel is coming out of it, but it's hot enough that I don't want to touch it for very long. :) The red tube also has a bunch of magnets in it, so it's a fuel heater and ionizer. It came with the HAFC kit, though the PCV pipe surrounding it is my design; they recommend simply wrapping the red aluminum exchanger with a heater hose.
Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby mkc1962 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:50 pm

mkc1962
Regular Poster

Postby readyakira » Sat May 24, 2008 9:31 pm

readyakira
Regular Poster

Postby mkc1962 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:47 am

mkc1962
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Sun May 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Sun May 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Aim for 220°F on the CTS/CHT sensor; this is a pretty generic value that works on most vehicles.

While the MAF and IAT may be physically housed together, they're still separate electrically. There should be only one signal wire for the IAT (and maybe a ground wire) so it shouldn't be too hard to locate. This explains the 5 wires: 3 for the MAF and 2 for the IAT. I had to get the Alldata wiring diagrams/schematics for my pickup to be able to do the install.

Instead of attacking the sensors at their respective locations, I tied into the wiring harness right by the ECU. This is where the Alldata diagrams came in handy. Since the computer is usually tucked away out of reach, you can run some extension wires so you can easily change resistors. You may want to use a multi-turn potentiometer so you can dial in the right resistance instead of trying to solder and unsolder multiple resistors to find the right value.
Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby mkc1962 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:22 pm

mkc1962
Regular Poster

Postby mkc1962 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:00 am

PIN,

At home now...Pic came through just fine....PVC?....I didnt think that would hold up to good to near 200 deg water?...Yours did ok huh?

nice design
mkc1962
Regular Poster

Postby readyakira » Mon May 26, 2008 2:15 pm

readyakira
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby colchiro » Mon May 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Mike, here's a good collection of Toyota sensor docs I've collected if you want some more reading material:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
Rick
2005 Drunken Rav4: 2.4L AWD Limited
colchiro
Regular Poster

Postby colchiro » Mon May 26, 2008 8:56 pm

This from Mike at :

"I was so late on that thread that I didn't jump in to it. But mkc1962 was trying to use some Eagle EFIEs on an AFR sensor. I've talked to George extensively on this subject, and they just won't work. Neither of our EFIEs will work on AFR sensors. You might want to point that out to him. I hate to see him burn up too much time on that one. "

He's referring to the fact that most Toyotas since '99 have an air-fuel sensor, not an o2 sensor and EFIE's only work with narrow band sensors. FWIW, the 25 ohm pot in series with the air-fuel sensor, doesn't work with Toyotas either.
Rick
2005 Drunken Rav4: 2.4L AWD Limited
colchiro
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Mon May 26, 2008 10:24 pm

AFR's are a different animal completely. I haven't found how to adjust them yet... I'll be inquiring MPGMike some time in the near future to see if he's stumbled upon any means of tricking/adjusting the AFR's.
Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby mkc1962 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:35 pm

mkc1962
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis