[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - 02 sensor operation, chemical reaction or thermal reaction?

02 sensor operation, chemical reaction or thermal reaction?

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

02 sensor operation, chemical reaction or thermal reaction?

Postby resident_genius » Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 pm

i've searched long and hard, maybe i've simply not hit the right place-

lets establish the basics-

when running rich, EGT drops, and there is less oxygen content in the exhaust, correct?

when running lean, EGT goes up, and there is more oxygen content in the exhaust, yes?

well then, is the generation of voltage directly related by a thermal reaction by the EGT, or is it a chemical reaction, and the oxygen molecules reacting with the catalyst in the sensor produces a voltage?

i have had many debates, however i cant seem to find a definitive answer.

people test 02 sensors by heating them with a torch, as we did in rudimentary shop class. i was told when the catalyst in the tip is heated, it gives off a voltage. others have argues otherwise.
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby glenn_aircooled » Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Firstly , I dont know the answer......
but I will make a wild guess and say that it is a Thermal reaction,
and then the engineers say " the exhaust gets hot when its running too lean - therefore too much Oxygen..."
-
The doubt I have to my guess is that they use some rare metal in the O2 sensors, and I thought that was there to cause a chemical reaction......:)
Lets hope someone knows..............
Glenn.
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

Postby hypersoniq » Tue May 13, 2008 5:52 am

hypersoniq
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Tue May 13, 2008 1:19 pm

If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm

where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby readyakira » Tue May 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Well, you could test the theory by heating it in a container full of air and read the voltages at a set temp, then fill the same container with a Gas, say helium then heat it again and compare the reading. This would tell you for sure I would think of the chemical reaction taking place. I am thinking it is more chemical then thermal, since even thermal there has to be a reaction causing the electrons to flow?
readyakira
Regular Poster

Postby biggeorge » Tue May 13, 2008 5:45 pm

biggeorge
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Tue May 13, 2008 6:13 pm

If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby hydroxrox » Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am

Hydrox Rox Sox
hydroxrox
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis