[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Just wanting to say hi.

Just wanting to say hi.

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Just wanting to say hi.

Postby HugeDuallie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 pm

HugeDuallie
Regular Poster

Postby gagekko » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:27 pm

gagekko
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:23 pm

What did you do to the engine control sensors? I'm assuming to get that type of gain you either have an extremely efficient electrolyzer (over unity or close to it) or you tuned the engine to run leaner than normal stoichiometric. What did you do?
Pinhead
Regular Poster

Postby onlineatvsalvage » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Yes very interested here too!!!! i would love to get my big truck up to that level
onlineatvsalvage
Regular Poster

Postby HugeDuallie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:41 pm

This is what I did, the cell is a 17" long 4" dia. sch40 pipe. Threaded cleanout on top with a reducer on the bottem with a 1&1/2 threaded cleanout in it I used the yellow teflon tape( type made for natural gas or oil) on the threads.All glued with pvc cement. I drilled and taped through the side of the upper part of the cleanout just below the threads. I used 3/8" npt. for my hydrogen outlet. With the threaded cleanout top I drilled (2) holes just under 1/4" dia. 1&1/2" from center for a total of 3"apart to screw my stainless threaded rod through to hold my plates. My plates are 1/4"thick x 1" wide x 3&1/8" long. The plates have a 1/4" hole drilled 1/4" center from one end.I used 316 stainless for everything. I used stainless nuts to set the spacing of the plates. I have 6 plates on each threaded rod staggered +,-,+,-,+,- with 3/16" between the opposing plate. The threaded rod makes this easy to adjust this gap. The very bottem has a strip of 1/4" thick lexon to steady the rods nuts above and below the lexon. For the solution I use Sodium Bisulfate (any pool supply will have it)
1&1/2 teaspoon per gallon is what works for me. But each cell might have some differences, it depends on the stainless (not all stainless is created equal). If you can make 2 cells from the same stainless stock you shouldn't have any trouble with this. The only time I've had any trouble is when I used up a bunch of left over pieces of flat stock. The electric's are simple 12 volt, I use a 30 amp relay controled by a toggle switch and ignition switch, the toggle is just incase you want turn it off which I do, I always start the engine then turn on the cells. I installed a 25 amp circuit breaker just off the cell( this protects from over loads to the relay).Power into the first cell, ground on the second cell (hooked in series). I also installed an indicator lamp hooked to the power at the cell to let me know if the circuit breaker trips. I set it up to pull about 15 amps. I accomplish this by how strong the solution is mixed.The only time I've had it trip is when I think I can push to produce more :oops: ,(see below). I always do my initial test on a heavy duty battery charger, I let it cook for 1 hour to stabilize the amps, if the amps are low add more sodium bisulfate - if you draw to much amps drain some out and add more water.
You will have to play with it the first time to get it right but after that you just mix the solution the same. The first one I made I ended up with alot of rust in the water, I found out that you HAVE TO USE A GOOD GRADE OF
STAINLESS!!! I haven't done any other mods. to the engine at all.Some heavier duty trucks don't use the o2 sensor to control the fuel mix just the MAPand Mass air flow sensors. I used a 3/8" hose from the cells to the intake manifold,it's plumbed in next to the vac. line for the pcv conection. I know I should use a bubbler or something to prevent a flash back to the cells but I just haven't got around to it yet :roll: .
HugeDuallie
Regular Poster

Postby onlineatvsalvage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 am

Thanks for the info ,, how much gas output are you getting with your cell?? ever do a liter per min test?
onlineatvsalvage
Regular Poster

Postby HugeDuallie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 am

No, I never did a test, I knew it wasn't enough to run it totally. That is my goal 8), I'm still tweaking to get more. Has anyone had any luck on PMW?
HugeDuallie
Regular Poster

HugeDuallie questions

Postby busguy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your plan. I'm hoping to build soon and I like the simplicity of yours and the mileage improvement is very impressive. I have a few questions though. 1. Why did you use 1/4" plate as opposed to say 1/8"? 2. Why did you use sodium bisulfate instead of KOH or NaOH which seem to be the favorites? Did you try different solutions? 3. Did you just tee your gas output together as opposed to running the output of one into the other? 4. What purpose is the reducer/clean out on the bottom? 5. How did you come up with your basic dimensions, number of plates, etc.? 6. Did you ever figure your Lts./min??
Thanks again for your help.
be the change you wish to see in the world
busguy

Stainless and Acid Electrolyte

Postby SeaMonkey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:45 pm

While Sodium Bisulfate (NaHSO4) is acidic it is probably safe for use in an electrolytic cell using either 304 or 316 as the plates. Stainless has good corrosion resistance against weak acid solutions and the Sodium Bisulfate as used is rather weakly acidic.

It does completely ionize in water solution so is an effective electrolyte.

The "rusting" that you experience with 304 is quite normal. It is the surface iron in the stainless being oxidized. With "conditioning" of the plates for several ( about 10 ) hours at a low current level (1 to 2 amperes) it will eventually cease.

This should be done on the bench before installing the cell/s in your car. When finished, drain the electrolyte, replace with fresh, run again for a couple of hours to confirm that the conditioning is complete ( no more rust ), then it should be ready to go.

After you've done the conditioning you'll notice that the plates have taken on a surface coating. This is very good.

Most people do use either Sodium Hydroxide or Potassium Hydroxide; but there are several other options.

Just stay away from Sodium Bicarbonate ( Baking Soda ) as it will "poison" the stainless plates and reduce the efficiency of your cells.

Vinegar ( Acetic Acid ) is another poor choice since it is not completely ionized in water solution and is not a good electrolyte.

You're making very good progress in your experiments with the electrolyzers. Keep up the good work!
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

electrolytes

Postby busguy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:51 pm

be the change you wish to see in the world
busguy

454 TO HUGEDULLIE

Postby rampage263 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:02 pm

rampage263
Regular Poster

Electrolysis and Electrolyte

Postby SeaMonkey » Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 pm