[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - First time poster

First time poster

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby glenn_aircooled » Thu May 01, 2008 6:27 am

Oh yeah , If you have the gear, try mixing a completely fresh batch of
27% KOH with the best distilled water you can get.
Put this in after rinsing the cells with distilled water.
If you have conditioned your cells with the previous batch - it may well require a change.
Dont throw away the old solution, store it in safe Plastic bottle for
conditioning the next unit. :)
Glenn.
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

gleen

Postby bcash4039 » Sat May 17, 2008 8:40 pm

bcash4039
Regular Poster

Re: gleen

Postby chemelec » Sat May 17, 2008 11:37 pm

If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Re: gleen

Postby Hybrid » Sun May 18, 2008 1:37 pm

--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Sun May 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Years Ago, When all alternators had External Regulators, it was Easy to Bypass the regulator, with a simple switch arrangement.
Guys would do it to run all kinds of things.

Now its somewhat harder to do, but by no means impossible and still practical.

However Be Aware that some alternators only use 50 Volt Diodes, while others use 200 volt ones.
And 110 volts out on a 50 volt diode is Not good.

My NEW Website is:
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby bcash4039 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Well I have taken every thing back to the bench and have been trying different things. Back with the generator hooked to the battery charger, and from a cold start. It ran as follows.

Volts 14.92 / Amps 14.4 / 1.27 LPM = 83% efficiency

After about an hour warm up

Volts 14.3 / Amps 22.4 / 2.06 LPM = 90.66 % efficiency

I believe that is not too bad for a auto filling cell.

Now going to the alternator from a cold start.

Volts 14.3 / Amps 5.4 / .46 LPM = 83.17% efficiency

The problems is that after running for about 6 hours it still doesn’t get to about 12 -14 amps. My theory is that I am not getting enough volts out of the alternator to push the amps though to get it to warm up and work properly. With 7 cells on the battery charger at 14.9 volts there is 2.13 volts across each cell. On the alternator at 14.3 volts there is 2.04 volts across the cell. Now given that I have current leakage due to the 1/8 inch hole in the side wall of each cell. I believe the I am on the border line of having enough volts to break the water apart but not enough to warm the solution to a good operating temperature.

So, I have to up the voltage across each cell just a little more. How to do that.

I know they make 15 and 16 volt alternators but what would that do to a 12 volt battery.

The other thing I was thinking about was going to a 6 cell generator. That would give me 2.38 volts across each cell, which would most likely be too much, but I could put a PWM in line to bring it back down to where its needs to be. As always I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions.
bcash4039
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 am

Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby bcash4039 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 am

kumaran

Your 7 cell unit is acting just like mine, as it is. Think we are going to have to go down to 6 cells. I sure hate taking the generator apart, but looks like that might be the only answer. We will eventually get it running.
bcash4039
Regular Poster

7 plate series cell problem

Postby kumaran » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Wed May 21, 2008 10:46 am

My NEW Website is:
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby bcash4039 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:09 pm

I reduced the plates down to 7, six cells now, and with the alternator on a 2 horse electric motor turning 1250 rpms which is at idle on my car. The results are as follows.

At start up

12.88 volts 15.3 amps 1.14 LPM = 81.47% efficiency

After 30 mins.

12.7 volts 15.8 amps 1.20 LPM = 84.38% efficiency

I want to do a little more testing before putting it back on the car, but at cruising speed it should put out about 2 liters.
bcash4039
Regular Poster

Re: 7 plate series cell problem

Postby huck » Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 pm

huck
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis