[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Plate pre-conditioning?

Plate pre-conditioning?

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Plate pre-conditioning?

Postby fixaze » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 am

Using some of the suggestions on making the SmackBooster....

Working with some 304 ss .020" material...I tried several methods for roughing up the surfaces.

* lightly scratched surface using a 120 grit belt on a sander....cause that's what I had

* tried placing a coarse double-cut file on a block of wood and hammering on the sheet stock over the teeth. This did create some impressions...but not a lot. Also on inspection of the file...the teeth on it were chipped.

* took the same file and finding a place on the end where the teeth were at the edge...I used this to scratch the surface in a cross hatch pattern...works pretty well.

* using...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=621

I punched a pattern of indentations with the convex shape towards the active side of the plate. This punch is point real well and this makes some sharp indentations.

Made in Taiwan and is decent quality despite the price.

Sort of time consuming....but probably worth it. I think the idea is to roughen the surface without removing much material.
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

PlatePrep.txt

Postby SeaMonkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for the link.

What I think would be most effective would be knurling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/knurl1.htm

Usually done on a lathe and on round objects...but could be adapted to sheet material?
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Postby fixaze » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 am

Can't find the quote...but I believe eletrik mentioned that someone managed a gas output boost of around 30% or thereabouts (1.7 L/min to 2.2 L/min?) by using a small end mill on the plates surface.

A regular drill used LIGHTLY or or a stone used in a grid pattern might do the same thing?
I want better mpg....
fixaze
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis