[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Building an Electrolyzer

Building an Electrolyzer

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby Loster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi ..

NaOH in powder form didn't work for me neither, I mixed it with drain cleaner and that made it ..

Just powdery NaOH gave me a non flammable gas too! Or a long time for the reaction to start ..

Or maybe we didn't have the right kind of NaOH powder ..

My Aluminum is very impure and it's working ! .. I even use Coke Cans that are painted and it's working .. .
Loster has been banned from the OUPower.com forum effective 5/15/2007 11:45 EST

My apologies to any that he has offended.
-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby shine_runner01 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:20 pm

Loster,

Thanks for the input, wonder why that is? you would think it would be the same thing. What kind of drain cleaner did you use that is working if ya don't mind share'in the secret.. lol

Thanks

Ian
It's not the age, it's the milage.....
shine_runner01
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:13 pm

Hehe .. Well it's RONA kind one .. ;] ...

I believe that Drano is exactly the same thing . .
Or any kind that says in the back that it contains NaOH !

In my powder NaOH there are already some Aluminum flakes !!! ..
I wonder why they don't react with the powder !???? ..
When you put the powder directly in water there is a reaction .. The Aluminum in the powder starts reacting .. but when I add my own AL it wasn't reacting with it ..

That is a bit strange, there must be another component in the powder . . .

I'm no chemist I can't explain it . .

-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby adam666 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:53 pm

Im using NaOH, drain cleaner off the shelf here. 100% Sodium Hydroxide
( is NOT Drano, as the Drano available is not pure (only like 54% NaOH?) )

(or shite, just thought maybe thats just cuase they premixed with water??)

being unsure about mixing levels (working out by weight doesnt seem right??)

I just placed a tablespoon into a litre of 'tap' water (rainwater barrel is empty :( )

works fine, but no measurements, just fooling around with some series/parallel comparisons :)
adam666
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:27 am

Well we are talking about the NaOH/Al mix not the electrical version .. But I don't know what is the real mix of Drano or any drain cleaner, just that it works ... I wanted to make my own brew with NaOH powder but like I said, it's not working as it should ..

-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis