[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Chemicalyzer, 3.4 hp Engine run Experiment !

Chemicalyzer, 3.4 hp Engine run Experiment !

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Chemicalyzer, 3.4 hp Engine run Experiment !

Postby Loster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Hey !

Ok so to continue my saga with the Chemicalyzer (- NaOH + Water + AL -) ..

I've made another Bubbler, because my first bubbler was all **ed up ..

Here is the setup :

1 Chemicalyzer
1 Bubbler
1 (4) Liter Gas Accumulator
1 Liter of Water
1 pound of AL
15g NaOH Powder
100 ml Drain Cleaner
3.4 HP Briggs & Stratton Lawnmower Engine
- Removed fuel line, put H2 Line instead .
(- There is a tube that connects to the Air Intake, I pluggued the Chemicalyzer there, but now I think it wasn't the best place, but it still received H2 Gas -)
- Gas Tank empty

Ok, the Engine actually Ran with the Chemicalyzer ! .. But I believe that there was some Gas fume left to help the engine start ..

Here are some data and a conclusion..

19:42 Reaction Start Slowly

19:45 Still Slow (- 1 or 2 big bubble / sec -)

19:49 Moderate Reaction, captured 1 Liter of Gas

19:52 (2) Liters of Gas in accumulator

19:56 HEAVY BOILING from Chemicalyzer + Heating of Solution (- Start of sustaining reaction -)

19:57 Trying to Start Engine, Starts at the 1st pull every time, 5 times total, Engine run for about 5 to 10 seconds before consuming 3 liters of Gas in accumulator .. Some backfires ..

NOTE: The accumulator is replenished with the Bubbler and there is the H2 fuel Line at the top of the accumulator .

20:00 Plug Fuel Line directly to the Bubbler to test Real Time operation..
Engine Starts everytime 1st Pull and run 10 seconds then makes very big backfires !!! (- The Reaction is becoming very Heavy, Foaming transfers from Chemicalyzer to Bubbler -) ..

20:02 White smoke from Intake, Exhaust ON FIRE!!! .. The gas is escaping
thru the engine and is sustaining a Fire on the Exhaust.. The Flame is RED .. (?? Fossil-Gas ??) .. Start the engine to estinguish the Flame, Big Backfire..

NOTE: The Red Flame reminds me of the Big 1 meter Flame of expanding gas I had when I ignited my bubbler in the first experiment ..

20:05 Still White smoke from intake, I think it's water vapor coming from the bubbler ...

20:07 Reaction is becoming really Slow and solution really HOT ..

20:10 Add some water then add some NaOH (- Not much, 10 ml -), Reaction restarts immediately and is very very violent...

20:20 Engine starts then stall

20:25 No Start ..

20:30 There is still some Aluminum left in the chemicalyzer, I'll measure the amount tomorrow ..

Conclusion : I think that the engine actually ran successfully out of H2 gas but it depended on how much Gas was produced .. In the middle of the experiment the engine was sustained by gas production for some time .. I think I could add another Chemicalyzer in Serie or more and I believe the engine would run successfully ..

I'll need to consider completely removing the Carburetor and the gas tank and implement a Valve system on my H2 output .

The Gas production is really really Fast! .. I couldn't contain it in the 4 Liters Accumulator much longer, but I couldn't successfully measure the amount of H2 produced because I was too anxious to make the engine run ... Next time .. I'm thinking of a better setup to measure it in real time without having to accumulate gas ..

In comparison, the Electrolyzer I made was weak it produced small amount of gas even at 50 amps ..

:lol:

By the way, NaOH and Water was consumed in the process.. Isn't NaOH supposed to be a catalyst and not consumed !?!??!?
Loster has been banned from the OUPower.com forum effective 5/15/2007 11:45 EST

My apologies to any that he has offended.
-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby pertyfly » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Since the reaction was so violent, it probably had a lot escape through vapourization. Also, you said it was really hot as well.
pertyfly
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:55 pm

So to keep the NaOH I may need to actually cool the reaction ?!

-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby johnh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:00 am

Hi Loster
Until Andersen et al. made that Patent application US6,638,493 it was thought that NaOH was consumed in the reaction and I have also had the experience when there is aluminium left in the solution so it looks as if all the NaOH is used.
I think if you look at the patent it is important to keep 3 layers in the reactor so the level dont mix.
1 the aluminium is keep right at the top in the effervescent zone
2 the bulk of the water - catylist or watever
3 precipitate in bottom with a screen to prevent it mixing through the electrolyte.
I haven't re-read the patent but I think they also mention the NaOH being tied up in the AlO2 if the conditions aren't exactly right.

I think you are taking a risk running a gas accumulator on the engine side of the bubbler. if one of those backfires travel back through the fuel line you will have a 4 litre explosion - not a pretty sight. Use a bubbler both sides of the accumulator please.... if you do this you can use an accumulator with water displacement to keep a slight pressure on the gas.
then you can use a needle valve on the gas inlet to the engine for easy control.
Regards
JohnH
johnh
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:20 am

JohnH :

Well I didn't find the patent you are referring to ! ..
... In fact I found it but couldn't download it ..

Do you have it somewhere, a link or something?! ..

Yeah about the 4 liters, it was more 3 liters when I fired the engine .. And it was consumed pretty fast .. But it wasn't a secure setup that's true . .

I'm trying to find some parts right now, I want to make the apparatus in Steel but I can't find bolts that will fit the nipples for my tubing.. Argh ..

-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Postby johnh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:43 am

johnh
Regular Poster

Postby Loster » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:22 am

-Chris (Site Admin)
Loster
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis