[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - how does cell plate number effect voltage and amps

how does cell plate number effect voltage and amps

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

how does cell plate number effect voltage and amps

Postby rotinaj13 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:21 am

Say you have a cell with 2 plates with the input of 12v 15a, and another cell with 4 plates with input of 12v 15a. What is the voltage and amperage for both cells? how does the number of cell plates corollate to voltage and amperage? I think this has a direct corollation to output of gas from a cell.. however I would like to do some testing and that is one of the questions I need awnsered b4 I begin. Thanks!
~AJ~
If ya don't smoke on the blimp, Hydrogen is safe!
rotinaj13
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:36 pm

It all depends on whether those 4 plates are connected as 2 parallel sets of plates, or if they are dividing a cell up into 3 compartments making a 3 cell series setup. In a series setup, the same current flow creates gas in multiple cells at the same time, so you get much more gas per watt consumed.

On automotive power, it takes 7 cells in series to bring the voltage per cell down into the lower end of the exothermic range. Cell voltages higher than that just makes waste heat.

Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby rotinaj13 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:47 pm

which way is more effective at producing gas series or parallel? Sorry for just the brief noob question. And thanks for the info bob!!! I have some other questions bouncing around in there... I just wanna make sure I have every thing straight in my mind befor I begin... That way the paint on my collector for the H2 doesn't have the same components as jet fuel.... don;t need another hidin burg...
~AJ~
rotinaj13
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 pm

Cells connected in a series hookup makes more efficient use of the voltage to create more gas per watt. Otherwise if you use parallel, you have to reduce the voltage to the cell way down in order to get similar efficiency. The best advice I can give is to tell you to read through the older posts and archived posts.

Thar's gold in them thar messages.
Bob
Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby rotinaj13 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:29 pm

LOL ok bob I might have to sit down and troll them there messages LOL
~AJ~
rotinaj13
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis