Thermoelectric to power HHO generator

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Thermoelectric to power HHO generator

Postby SlickGixxer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:38 am

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere here on OU,but I found this interresting and plausible.

http://www.thermo1.com/design.htm
SlickGixxer
Regular Poster

Postby CrusherT » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:00 am

I made this suggestion on a different thread but as usual I was pretty much slammed. I'm gonna do it anyways because I find that if they say you can't do it you just have to try harder to prove them wrong.
CrusherT
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:18 am

CrusherT wrote:I made this suggestion on a different thread but as usual I was pretty much slammed. I'm gonna do it anyways because I find that if they say you can't do it you just have to try harder to prove them wrong.

It Isn't that you Can't do it, You definately Can.

The real problem is the EFFICIENCY and Trying to Cool the Cold side of the thermoelectric modules.
And you will also need some really good Heat Sinks on Both sides fo the modules. One side to get heat into it and the other side to cool it.

The last problem is you will need a LOT of these modules and they are not very cheap.

If you tell me How much voltage and Current you want out, I can probably tell you how many modules you will need.
I have many of these TE modules in my possession.
If you Email Me, the Word "ELECTRONIC" MUST appear in the Subject Line.

My NEW Website is:
http://chemelec.com
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby huck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:27 pm

I guess my question is why aren't the Hybrid vehicles using this? as well has heat generated from braking(maybe they are, and I just don't know about it)...but seems like a very viable way to recharge the batteries...especially AFTER shutdown...while the engine/etc is cooling....
huck
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm

huck wrote:I guess my question is why aren't the Hybrid vehicles using this? as well has heat generated from braking(maybe they are, and I just don't know about it)...but seems like a very viable way to recharge the batteries...especially AFTER shutdown...while the engine/etc is cooling....

Why?

As I Stated previously: Efficiency, Cost and Cooling the Cold side.
Definately Not very Practical.

My NEW Website is:
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby kevinsatterfield » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 pm

the only thing Ive found in an engine bay that stays cold is the conduit from the AC.Even when the ac is not turned on the compressor does its normal kick in thing and keeps the conduit cold..... maybe custom heat sinks for that conduit?
kevinsatterfield
Regular Poster

Postby SlickGixxer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Obviously obtaining the heat is not an issue.What differences in temperature are needed to operate properly?Flexible ducting run to front of vehicle with a small scoop would be insufficient to cool them?Or attatched to the muffler as shown in the pics in the link which airflow under the vehicle would cool them?
What uses have you found for these modules?
SlickGixxer
Regular Poster

Postby chemelec » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 pm

SlickGixxer wrote:Obviously obtaining the heat is not an issue.What differences in temperature are needed to operate properly?Flexible ducting run to front of vehicle with a small scoop would be insufficient to cool them?Or attatched to the muffler as shown in the pics in the link which airflow under the vehicle would cool them?
What uses have you found for these modules?

How Much Cooling, Depends on How Much Heat is applied.
A 40 Degree Celsus Temperature Difference is fairly good.
But thats at the Module.
And too much applied heat will damage them.

You need some Pretty Big heatsinks with lots of fins.
Especially if its a Hot Day.

These TE Modules are typically used for Koolatron Coolers which are fairly small containers and rarely will these actually attain actual Freezing temperatures, except on a cool day.
And they are even Less Efficient in producing Electricity.

My NEW Website is:
chemelec
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:15 am

This is pretty much off topic for this forum, so I am surprised it has not already been moved to the PUB or some other forum.

That aside, I have a question... Is this technology the only way to take a temperatufe differential and convert directly to electricity? Seems that I have read somewhere in the past about using temperature gradients as a way to recover some lost efficiency of various systems.

FlashBang!
Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis