[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - EMISSIONS and FUEL CONSUMPTION

EMISSIONS and FUEL CONSUMPTION

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

Postby weggl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:47 am

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby Maintenanceman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:16 am

Maintenanceman
Regular Poster

Postby cwaugs » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 am

cwaugs
Regular Poster

Postby readyakira » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:36 pm

readyakira
Regular Poster

Postby Maintenanceman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Maintenanceman
Regular Poster

Postby readyakira » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:50 pm

readyakira
Regular Poster

Postby Pinhead » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 pm

The advantage of running hydroxy gas in conjunction with hydrogen is the speed of the burn. The idea that "a lean mixture burns hotter" is actually completely false. Actually, a lean mixture burns slower which equates to higher EGT's thus the burnt exhaust valves. Adding hydroxy gas to the mixture increases the fuel burn rate, thus negating the "normal" decrease in burn speed. If you don't "feel" a decrease in acceleration or power, you're more than likely not going to damage your engine. However, if you're running WOT all the time, the added safety of running a little rich can be handy. That would kind of defeat the purpose of injecting hydroxy for gas mileage, so I would confidently say that you're not anywhere near damaging your engine.
Pinhead
Regular Poster

emissions and fuel consumption

Postby weggl » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 am

During the 300k trip that I did the temp gauge was running 3 stops below its normal running temp. So was the engine getting hot?
My highway speed was a constant 110k/h and the gauge was running not much above cold.
My mechanic mate who drove the car on a test run could not get the car to ping of falter or loose power on hills even on setting 5 which is 19/1 ratio, however I don’t drive it on that setting but rather on the No 2 setting- (not shown in the test) but rather on setting 2 which would be somewhere around 15.3/1.

Although there have been comments about what possibly could go wrong there have been none as to the startling reduction in emissions, or the 30% reduction in fuel use. Now I thought that this is what this site is trying to achieve.
I do however appreciate the warnings. Glen Aircooled has been running a car for some years on hydroxy with no detrimental effects but his car is not EFI and would not suffer from the injection of extra fuel because of the extra oxygen.

Weggl
WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby gagekko » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:29 am

Weggl,

Those are some nice and promising numbers. May I ask what your booster was putting out in terms of volume?
gagekko
Regular Poster

Postby zipster » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Dont worry about the 14.7 a/f ratio, you are starting to introduce another "type" of fuel. The Stoichiometric ratio is different for different types of fuel used. I found this table from the colostate.edu web site. Sorry if the table did not copy correct. But look at the a/f ratio for hydrogen it is 27.2, makes you think doesnt it?

Fuel Chemical Formula HHV

[kJ/kg] [kg air/kg fuel]
Air/Fuel Ratio Stoichiometric Fuel/Air Stoichiometric
Methane CH4 55,500 17.2 0.05814
Propane C3H8 50,300 15.6 0.06410
Octane C8H18 47,900 15.1 0.06623
Methanol CH3OH 22,700 6.5 0.15385
Ethanol C2H5OH 29,700 8.99 0.11123
Hydrogen H2 141,600 27.2 0.03677
Gasoline C8H15 47,300 14.6 0.06849
Diesel C12.5H22.2 44,800 14.5 0.06897
zipster
Regular Poster

Postby Orange_Crusader » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Wow, nice results on the trip, mind if I ask what year/model/etc. car this was done in?
Orange_Crusader
Regular Poster

Postby Bluey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:21 am

Hi Warren,
With Continental and Lycoming Aero engines it is normal to climb with mixture full rich. On attaining cruise altitude it is necessary to lean the mixture to suit the thinner atmosphere.There are a few ways of doing this but my favourite method was as follows:-
(a) Switch to one magneto. (b) Lean the mixture until you have a slight reduction in RPM or slightly rough running. (c) Enrich the mixture to smooth running and normal RPM plus half an inch (12mm).(d) Return to 2 magnetos. (e) Watch the EGT (exhaust gas temp) to ensure that there was no increase in temp.
The Temp increase is caused by the leaner mixture burning slower so that there is still flame as the exhaust valve opens. Being faster burning Hydroxy may tend to eliminate this.
May I suggest that if you are out Bankstown way you may have a chat to an Aero engineer. I would also suggest that if you decided to monitor EGT that you pick on the cylinder second from the rear. e.g. 3 in a 4 cyl or 5 in a 6 cyl as this is normally the hottest cylinder.
You are doing well so carry on
Regards Bluey
Bluey
Regular Poster

Postby jai_mann » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting the data about your trip weggl. I plan on doing the same. I'm driving from the west to the east coast of the USA to get a baseline on the engine I just rebuilt. I had collected this same data last summer but then I found out the engine needed rebuilt :x . Then I had planned on running an analysis of variance on the mpg data at each of the different settings for the air/fuel controller (d17).

I highly recommend that everyone else save every single gas receipt. Get in the habit of saving those receipts they're data! This will allow you to use stats and validate the numbers for people who aren't familiar with Brown's gas. This whole area is still developing so we don't know what interactions or dependencies are involved in perfecting the gas ratio, timing, etc.
jai_mann
Regular Poster

Postby weggl » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:48 pm

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Postby weggl » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:56 pm

WARREN EGGLETON
weggl
Regular Poster

Next