[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Tuning for Mileage

Tuning for Mileage

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Postby van » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Bill

Kiwi ingenuity, number 8 wire and can-do attitude
van
Regular Poster

Postby van » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 am

Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby Hybrid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:03 am

--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby van » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:16 am

--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby van » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:15 am

Kia ora Anthony

Thanks for that. There is one being wrecked in NZ and I have asked for the unit and price, will take it from there. I have not as yet examined my motor closely and thus have no idea if I am able to implement this concept readily. At this moment in time it is just a thought and until I am able to look into it in more detail have no idea if it will be practical. I have welding gear,but prefer to keep it as simple as possible, so that if it works, others will have no problem duplicating it.
Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 am

Van/Bill, I forgot to ask/mention if you are runing an auto box, the
trans output line could be routed in/out of that unit easily & closer to
your filter & fuel tail etc.
Cheers !
--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby van » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby van » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby van » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Kia ora

My initial gains of 50% over town running have not been realised. :cry: Conditions at the time of travel may account for that as a short steep climb was followed by a long gradual downhill ride plus a following wind of up to 50-60 kph.

I have since done one period of primarily town driving giving a 15% increase and another longer trip giving 30% over town. In essence both town and country driving have seen a 15% improvement.

My next project will be to devise a means whereby the fuel can be heated to a higher temp which currently is 41C drawn from a water temp of 76C. If room permitted (and I may yet be able to make room) a longer section of SS tube with more coils then used currently might help there. Another alternative would be to make some sort of a bypass whereby the return fuel to the tank is diverted to feed straight back to the inlet of the fuel heater, raising the the temp of the cold fuel from the tank. Air bubbles may present a problem there however.
Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am

Van are you using 95 rather than 91 fuel ? 95 = better milage.
Colder positioning of the air intake if possable. All helps.
Cheers !
--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby van » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:03 am

Kia ora Anthony

No mate she is a diesel. :)
I have had a quick squiz underneath, and the exhaust is a plumbers nightmare, tight corners and restricted flow, so that will be another job to look at. Air intake is not much better and will have to examine that too, possibly a snorkel.
Where in NSW are you? Heatwave and fires? Nice and cool here, about 22-25, right weather for fishing! 8) Went out this morning and caught a kahawai, your sea-trout I believe.
Bill

van
Regular Poster

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:29 am

Van I didn't go back reading your early posts. I thought you were using
a petrol motor. I'm at Greenfield Pk west Sydney. Exhaust helps, a 6ltr
cat, 2 3/4" piping, drop back to 2 1/2" after the rear diff, 1 into 2 rear
muffler, 1 straight though resinator. You still need a bit of back pressure
so you don't lose early torque. Yeah a snorkle for your intake is good.
40c two days in a row here. Too bloody hot to do anything. Cooler now.
Cheers !
--Anthony
Hybrid
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:00 am

What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby van » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 am

Bill

van
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Conventional Project Discussions