[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Fuel Heater project (Kumaran)

Fuel Heater project (Kumaran)

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Postby coffeyw » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:27 pm

coffeyw
Regular Poster

Thanks

Postby kumaran » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:55 am

Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby coffeyw » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:17 am

coffeyw
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:31 am

For back-flash problems, look up the "OMNI-VALVE" that is used in 4 stroke engines. it's really nothing more than a "reed valve" for 4 stroke engines. works effectively, but costs on the restricted airflow. Volumetric efficiency goes way down, but then again, so does fuel consumption too.

Just my 2 cents, and with another 48 cents, I can get a cup of coffee, but I don't drink coffee, so my wife will enjoy it.

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 am

Thanks Coffeyw & AlaskaStar for your feedbacks.

I have installed the fuel vapor system into my project car and drove about 100KM yesterday (night run with 4 adults load). I just refilled the tank full today for fresh measurement (MPG) on next refill. No MPG for now. I try to post the pictures by next week.

AlaskaStar, I didn't use any flashback arrestor for fuel vapor now. I definitely will use for hydroxy. I'm just bubbling the gas fume into intake manifold without any flashback arrestor. No problem so far. I'm thinking to make pickle jar bubbler to use as flashback arrestor.

Another good news, finally my friend gave me electric generator (Honda 4 stroke engine) which he promised many months ago. The generator rated 2200 watt. Everything comes at the same time. Need to allocate time. Why not 48 hours a day?
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 am

The Flash-Back arrestor is for the "lean Misfire" condition that can EASILY occur with vapor fuel. this is sure to ignite your fuel source in most horrible of ways.

Mine opened the hood of the truck in a violent "KABOOM!" type action while I was in the driver's seat, it literally blew the hood open, and scared my passenger next to death.

Please be careful, Darwin Awards are funny in themselves, but having your name in it is another thing coming.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:08 am

Hi AlaskaStar,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Point noted. Making the pickle jar flash back arrestor today.
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 am

Hi AlaskaStar,

I've made the pickle jar flashback arrestor and tested. During engine running, no problem encountered. When I restart the engine, the water sucked into gasoline jar.

How you did prevent flashbacks with your system? I was thinking of using one way valve before intake manifold. Sometime due to heavy bubbling, some liquid gasoline being sucked into intake manifold. I thinking of using fuel filter after gasoline bubbling jar. When all the items mentioned above in place, do we still need flashback arrestor?
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:23 am

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:11 am

Hi guys,

I have made small changes to fuel vapor system since last posted. I replace the pickle jar to home water filter container as fuel bubbler. The rest still the same. Today, I drove 200KM and the fuel consumption doesn't vary much from previous 100KM run. Still getting around 44.4MPG on Honda Accord 1.6L. Fuel vapor for this car completed just waiting to mount H2 generator for additional boosting.

I was thinking to mount similar fuel vapor system into Mercedes 190E. I have been recording MPG on this car since I bought few years ago. No modification made so far to this car. One important queation, where can I find intake manifold for this car?
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:05 am

Use a REED VALVE. simple to make using something to the effect of a feeler gauge.
makes a good flashback arrestor.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Tue May 15, 2007 4:56 am

Mercedes 190E?

4 Cylinder or 5? What year?

I am familiar with a few of these rolling wonders of engineering marvels.

Some of these have a LARGE "Flapper" type mass air flow to help the fuel management system. (this was used into the 1990's) This system could be MODIFIED, for use with a vapor carb, as the fuel injection system being disabled, it would provide a great place to mount a "Pull" type spring, and have it NORMALLY CLOSED. so this means VACUUM would "pull" it open, and if there was a flashback of significance you would have the pressure in the manifold reach zero vacuum, effectively CLOSING the flapper, and as pressure rose in the intake, the flapper door would be HELD SHUT for a brief instant, but only until a cylinder opened on the downward intake stroke.

Pictures of the induction system WITH and WITHOUT the Air Cleaner, and related tubes would be very handy in figuring this out. I could ask the Russians here where to get a manifold?

Again, Make, MODEL, YEAR, and most important: ENGINE SIZE AND OTHER RELATED SIGNIFICANT SPECS. (California, or Federal Emissions?) You are obviously overseas, so it does NOT apply on that end, but Turbo-Charged, or SuperCharged? does it have a v6? v8? v10? or V12? or heaven forbid a V16?

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 pm

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Thanks AlaskaStar

Postby kumaran » Wed May 16, 2007 2:10 am

Hi AlaskaStar,

Infact I brought the car to mechanic shop to check if there any unused intake manifold holes for this engine. They say no. Asked them how they would modify the fuel system in case I want install dual fuel system (gas and NGV). They would drill 4 holes near to fuel injector at intake manifold. Hmmm... looks expensive job.

Your idea on using spark plug hole to insert fuel vapor is very unique. I have limited knowledge when comes to engine. Still learning.

By using just two spark plug to ignite 2 cylinders, will there be any negative impact to engine performance like smoothness & torque?
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Conventional Project Discussions