[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Fuel Heater project (Kumaran)

Fuel Heater project (Kumaran)

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Postby coffeyw » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 am

Hey Rob,

I have to say that SmartGas site is great!
Thanks for sharing it with us!

I've learned a lot from a short read.
I've also revisited some old ideas I played with in previous years.
The insight into ethanol he gives is great!
Mississippi is wanting to jump on the ethanol bandwagon.
Armed with this info, I hope to burst their bubble for it's use in this state.

Thanks again,
coffeyw
coffeyw
Regular Poster

Postby Looking In » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:20 am

Rich (Looking In)
((((Is it really so difficult to tell a good action from a bad one? I think one usually knows right away or a moment afterward, in a flash of regret.)))) BOOM
Looking In
Regular Poster

Postby coffeyw » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:55 am

coffeyw
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:04 am

Hi guys,

I did second test after long period of time on fuel heater and fuel vapor on my motorbike (Honda 100cc). Well I got positive results using fuel vapor injected into air intake.

The setup is similar as I have done before. Heat the fuel from SS canister and vapor injected into air intake. Time taken with and without fuel vapor. I block fuel from tank and the engine just use fuel from carburetor reservoir. Time taken the moment I block fuel from tank.

Without fuel vapor assist : 8.25 seconds.

With fuel vapor assist : 11.30 seconds.

So there are about 26% extra running time with fuel vapor assist.

Good news. Finally, I have bought test car for my projects. It is old Honda Accord 1.6L (Year 1983 – 1985). Now the car is at mechanic shop to rectify minor repairs. I have waited for so long for this test car. I need to take base MPG on city & highway before proceeding with modification.
Regards,
Kumaran
(Knowledge without action is useless, action without knowledge is foolish)
kumaran
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 am

Hi guys,

Here are the pictures on .

Sorry for the late update.
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby coffeyw » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:33 am

Kumaran,

I would think using a small pump to keep the fuel moving through the heater coil section might help to keep the fuel temperature more uniform while also keeping vapor pockets and hot spots from forming.

I was thinking the [url]http://www.hobbiesr.com/hca/hca-144/hcap3105.htm]Hobbico hcap3105[/url] fueling pump might do the job since it's a nice little gear pump that's powered by a small DC motor, but they warn on the package that it's not for use with gasoline or kerosene.

Either they don't want the liability or the seals and o-rings on the pump won't stand up to gasoline and would need to be replaced with seals and o-rings that will.

coffeyw
coffeyw
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 am

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby coffeyw » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:41 am

coffeyw
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi guys,

Yesterdays test went very well. I didn't use windshield pump to circulate the fuel. The setup was as original plan. Fuel tube connected from plastic container direct to carburetor to supply hot fuel.

Time taken after block fuel from plastic container to carb. Now motor runs using hot fuel reservoir in carb. It takes 9 minute and 12 seconds for engine to stop running by just using fuel from reservoir. Previous test was 8 minute and 25 seconds. It shows that hot fuel does increase running time.

On second test, I tried to inject vapor from hot fuel into air intake. The engine stops after running for 8 minutes and 27 seconds. Too much fuel ratio compared to air maybe. Then I take the bike for test ride with hot fuel and fuel vapor. No engine jerking but with more torque.

Maybe tomorrow I will use windshield wiper pump to circulate fuel and see the changes.
Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby katman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 am

KAT

Kevin A Thornton
KAT Automotive
For Speed Equipment, Nitrous Express
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
http://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
http://www.168336.amazonherb.net
katman
Regular Poster

Re: Updates

Postby Lightwave » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Lightwave
Regular Poster

Postby katman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:06 am

KAT

Kevin A Thornton
KAT Automotive
For Speed Equipment, Nitrous Express
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
http://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
http://www.168336.amazonherb.net
katman
Regular Poster

Updates

Postby kumaran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:11 am

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

Postby coffeyw » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:59 pm

Kumaran,

I had a couple other thoughts along the line of the double boiler method.

1) Use that windshield washer pump to circulate water from your SS container, through your heater coils, and back to the SS container. Make a coil that will fit inside the SS container to run your gasoline through.

2) Use coaxial copper tubes to heat the gasoline and the water? Explanation: Slip a smaller copper tube inside a larger copper tube. Run gasoline in the smaller tube, and water inside the larger tube.

3) As an addition to item (1) above, what's the possibility of using hot water to heat the carburetor bowl as well as the gas?

coffeyw[/img]
coffeyw
Regular Poster

Postby kumaran » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Regards,
Kumaran
kumaran
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Conventional Project Discussions