[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - I need some advice. Quick if you are able.

I need some advice. Quick if you are able.

Talk about anything at all in this forum. General chatter about anything not related to the rest of the Discussion Board Topics, belongs here!

I need some advice. Quick if you are able.

Postby mael » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm

I found a canister for an experiment I am planning. It's part of some kind of life-saving device I happened upon whilst killing some time at the beach.

I found it amongst a pile of garbage at a small fishing boat harbour.

It seems to be in good condition except the plastic float/light unit is cracked and therefore the lights wouldn't be operative. But the SS cannister seems to be unused/un-activated.

But I am worried about what is inside it.

It turns out I've found a buoy/marker, smoke/light signal device.

It is about 40 cm long and made of stainless steel. The diameter of the canister is approximately 10 cm.

There was a plastic float/light ring around it.

As I said, I just wanted the canister, and I loosened one of the three screws holding the top on. At this top/lid there is a small ring induction-welded on the top in the middle.

When unscrewing I noticed a release of gas. It may have been inflammable. It had a sweet and cloying smell, but I can't describe it well. The smell lingered a while.

So I put the screw back home and put the canister outside for the moment.

Now after some internet checking I have discovered it is an automatic smoke-signalling device with lights. I wanted to find out what was inside it as I really do want the container. But I'm very concerned it might be dangerous to open it.

Apparently it is supposed to emit orange smoke, and it is activated by pulling a cord somewhere. But I am not sure as the only place with a pull tag I could find is the one at the top which seems to be a lid, which is held on by three screws.

I also learnt it is classified as a hazardous device and requires special handling for deliveries, and that it is technically a pyrotechnic device.

Can anyone let me know what is inside it? And whether it is a good idea to open it?

* I have half a mind to take it somewhere and dump it again.
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 am

Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Return to OUPower Pub