[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - True series spacing

True series spacing

This forum is for discussing anything related to electrolysis and electrolyzer designs.

True series spacing

Postby dhho » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi guys,
those of you that are running true series cells,what spacing are you using and does this effect current draw much, say using 27% caustic and is the current draw worked out from water level or acual plate size?
Think this series cell is the way to go at this stage.
Thanks,
Mos
dhho
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:25 pm

Sorry neede to ad have seen spacings from 3 mm to 10 mm.I like the idea of wider spacing because it would hold more electrolite but don't know if you loose a lot of performance with wider spacing or if there is something I have missed.
Thanks,
Mos
dhho
Regular Poster

Postby glenn_aircooled » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:30 am

You can experiment with different spacings and I encourage you to.
The closer the plates the better = more output HOWEVER it causes a
problem with " bubble congestion ". so you need some space to allow
bubbles to escape & leave electrolyte to keep moving to the plates.
As a starting point , a few people recommend 3mm or 1/8 inch.
This has been found to to give reasonable output with room to let bubbles out.
You may be trying different ideas..... maybe you are going to run Higher voltages,
like 6 volts across each plate pair [ cell ] - to create steam for other types of experimenting.
This will probably require a different plate spacing to optimise this effect.
-
I would like to try 2mm spacing for a unit I have in mind, because it is
only going to have low current across each cell , so not producing Huge
quantities of Hydroxy.
Glenn.
glenn_aircooled
Regular Poster

Postby jpshydro » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 am

I have built 8 hydrogen generators and hooked them up in series, the last group were four cells in series, the cells have two 1" round SS tubes in them, two are 3" wide by 8" high round PVC tubes and the other two are 3"wide by 6" high round PVC tubes. The round tubes are secured by bolts in the side, the top bolt is used to bring the electrical current into the cell. I tried both Naoh and Koh. Koh seemed to generate a little more hydroxy gas but I have one of the six inch cells pulling more volts as explained below and it was difficult to tell how this affected the production. With the Sodium it was pulling about 3.15 volts and the other cells were all around 2.80 volts when I switched to potassium the one cell was pulling 5.15 volts and the other cells were pulling about 2.15 volts. We haven't figured why this one cell is pulling more volts or why it pulled more using the Koh.

I started out using 8 teaspoons of both Naoh and Koh per gallon of distilled water and then added an additional 4 teaspoons of each of the caustics. The production only increased a small amount with the additional caustic so left it at that for now

One funny thing happened when I started with the Sodium I used a car battery as my power source it took the car battery about 12 minutes to start producing at the power I quoted above, the first 12 minutes it only generated about 2 volts on each cell and then .2 amph per cell; then it was like someone flicked a switch and it went to the volts quoted above and 2.8 amphs per cell. I started the KOH on my battery charger and used the starting function of 12 volts and 55 amps and the cell started generating at the rates quoted above. When I put both the Koh and Naoh on the battery charger at 12 volts the Koh pulled 7 amphs and Naoh pulled 5 amphs. It appears that Koh is a stronger electrical conductor and what I will wind up using although I want to try sodium sulfate but have not done that yet.

It is very important to keep all the cells uniform and pulling the same volts make sure you check them. I am building a 4 series cell to put into my car now, starting it today. Each cell will be 1 1/2" by 1" and 8" high. The SS will be six inches high. Will give you an update when I get it finished and tested. I also think series cells are the way to go, I want to have a 4 series cell that winds up generating somewhere from 4 to 7 liters of hydroxy gas a minute.
Thanks John
jpshydro
Regular Poster

Postby dhho » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:14 pm

dhho
Regular Poster

Return to Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis