[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Homebrew Rapid Prototyping Machines

Homebrew Rapid Prototyping Machines

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Postby Cryptonic26 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:17 pm

You know what? Forget UV tanning lamps, I've found a much better (as in higher quality) alternative.

The IMAX projector box.

They use water cooled Xenon lamps, inside a perfectly fabricated parabolic chamber. The best for this application as the lighting system has already been through extensive testing. All that's required is to replace the projection lense with a larger convex, then a smaller concave to extend the focal point.

The xenon bulbs are VERY powerful, I'm estimating that they are just powerful enough to work with harder metals like copper and brass powder. Possibly even steel alloys.. but that could be just beyond the threshold.

Their about $700 per lamp at the time of this writing, which is expensive.. but try buying an equally powerful Co2 laser for that price would ya?

Now.. I just need to find a place to buy Imax parabolas... and their equiv. xenon lamps...
Cryptonic26
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:10 pm

what about a high end computer repair store...they might have few peices like that laying around, and if so...can it be gotten fron a canabalized unit?

food for thought...

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby biggeorge » Tue May 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Wow!!!

Imagine if they could make these machines do the same thing with food.

It's all a bit Star Trekky - Replicator style.

Makes you wonder whether the people who wrote star trek know something we don't, or whether the people who invent this stuff take their ideas from science fiction.

One Racktacino coming right up. :D
biggeorge
Regular Poster

Postby cliffbeaty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Cryptonic,
I would like to place my order for a $2,000 Rapid Prototyping machine. You don't even have to paint it.

Alaska Star,
Have you ever used SolidWorks, it is a complete solid modeling program which can open as well as edit DWG files. I have never used Autocad since learning SolidWorks. It can be found on various P2P sites online.

Cliff
Cliff Beaty CMfgE
cliffbeaty

Postby AlaskaStar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 pm

I have SolidWorks 2007, I have NOT YET used it, mainly due to the harddrive space, or lack thereof. I am soon going to buy a 750 GIGABYTE HDD, so that I will have enough room to make it happen.

I might run double duplex on the HDD, and have a total of 1.4 TeraBytes running in duplex tandem.

so four 750 gig drives, running in pairs of duplex. reduces the failure rate possibility.

AlaskaStar
"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby cliffbeaty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Alaske Star,
You'll love it. If you have CosmosWorks you can perform FEA on your parts.
Sometimes your license will let you access a whole suite of tools. I've even done patent drawings with SW.
Take Care,
Cliff
Cliff Beaty CMfgE
cliffbeaty

Alibre Design Xpress

Postby kilroyo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

I use a program called Alibre Design Xpress,, its a really good quality 3D CAD design software for the price ,, , FREE , It does have a few limitations ,, limit on parts designed for assembly project ,, like 10 or so and a few options are turned off , but for the most part its all there. It does have a few quirks about it that can get alittle annoying, but all CAD software does it seems. But if your new to CAD try this one out, and if CAD aint for you, then your not out thousands or anything for that matter
kilroyo

Previous

Return to General Conventional Project Discussions