[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Lead acid batteries. A novice embarrasses himself.

Lead acid batteries. A novice embarrasses himself.

Do you have a project you're working on that doesn't fit into any of the forums above? Please post about it here.

Lead acid batteries. A novice embarrasses himself.

Postby mael » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:01 pm

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:39 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:53 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:59 am

mael
Regular Poster

Postby brian » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:19 am

good subject,bob do you think you could post the circuit? i thought chemlec had one on his site but its for lithium batteries thanks.
brian
brian
Regular Poster

Postby Bob Boyce » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 pm

Bob Boyce
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:50 am

I thought that might have been the case.

Would you please indicate the pulse-with, and the voltages/currents necessary in a specific instance?

* I can charge a lead/acid battery at 20 Amps and the same one can be charged with 1 Amp. At least they both seem to reach the same conclusion.

Is there any optimum voltage/current to charge a battery? I ask as I am wondering if it is a waste to charge at a high current if it means a lot of the energy is wasted in (unwanted) heat?

* And getting a bit off topic; alkaline batteries - the small penlight sizes and thereabouts:-

Isn't the way to charge them to be very gentle and let the heat determine the degree of charge at any given point? ie... if it starts getting warm then reduce the charge so as to maintain a constant temperature, and when the temperature increases whenever any significant charge is attempted - then the battery is as good as it is going to get?

I'm just curious about that. - I replaced an alkaline battery in one of my wall clocks and I remember hearing about how they can be charged under certain conditions with certain manufacturers.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby brian » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 am

alkaline charger. i havent tried this yet.
brian
brian
Regular Poster

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm

I too would love to get more "into" the topic of rejuvinating lead acid batteries. Tons of them around if you have the knowledge to rejuvinate them, you'd have a great source of backup power.

I have a circuit that I built to rejuvinate batteries but it's not something I have tested enough to know whether or not it's really working. I did successfully "fix" a huge 12v "valve" type industrial gel battery. Very expensive battery.

It was only reading 10v or so and nothing was working so I built this curcuit after looking it up online. It is only 2 components and it DID fix my big battery. It failed to fix several others though. I'm not sure if they were just too far gone or what?

At any rate this circuit will cause a voltage rise in the battery to some very scary points so USE WITH CAUTION!!! I actually got a small 12v gell cell to POP because I suspect I ignited the hydrogen gas that was being given off from electrolysis. It blew the little rubber stoppers out under the sealed lid.

Anyway you can actually hear it "cooking" off the crystals and if you have an analog V meter, you can see the needle moving up and down as it is doing its job.

This circuit can charge any voltage battery. I would be interested in hearing thought on how good or bad this type of charger is to use? I always put it on a timer so I don't kill my batteries when using it.

You need to use a non-polarized capaciter in this circuit and the larger the cap the more current you deliver to the battery being recharged.

~ ------<cap>----<FWBR>------ ~

Sorry for the ANSI art ...bad art at that. I'm at work now and will scan the document with better descriptions at home.

The FWBR (Full Wave Bridge Rectifier) is your source to charge your battery. The + from the FWBR goes to the + on your battery and the (-) goes to your negative on your battery.

Try it for brief periods of time when starting. Put your volt meter in parallel with the battery.

I'll put a much better diagram on later today. Please let me know if you have played with this simple circuit before and what your thoughts on it are.
-Chris

OUPower.com Site Admin
Chris
Site Admin

Postby brian » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:26 pm

this site has good info on lead acid batteriesalso here is a reviving circuit http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects ... index.html note for 230vac mains
brian
brian
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Hmmm!

Just when I had steeled myself up to using a 555 you go and tell me I'm going to need an"LM317T."

Now what's that when it's at home? OK! It's a voltage regulator, but the nearest place I could buy one is hundreds of kilometers away over a very deep bit of water.

So I'm going to have to scrounge one from somewhere and somehow recognize that it's the component I'm after.

Can anyone advise me how to find an LM317T amongst the scrap? ie... tell me where to look and what will work satisfactorily if the same one can not be easily procured.

*** I was just getting the 'fight or flight' syndrome about rigging up a 555 - started to get a sweat as well! But then the fearsome thought of working with ICs was cooled suddenly. - Maybe I can find something amongst the great electrical shops' dumps around here?
mael
Regular Poster

Postby Terry » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:52 am

Terry

Postby coffeyw » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Here's a good place to learn about

Coffey
coffeyw
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:54 pm

mael
Regular Poster