heat water with thermite

Interested in building a foundry to smelt your own metal and try your hand at metal casting? Topics here will range from different foundry designs, burners and blowers to sand casting and lost foam casting.

heat water with thermite

Postby juanito » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Well, tat is the main question.

Is it possible to heat a lot of water using thermite?

i will go far from civilization, and I hate to shower with cold water, and there is a swimming pool that have cold water, so I wonder if is there any way to heat that water. No electricity, but plenty of aluminum and Iron oxide.

Thanks
juanito
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 am

Well thermite does have a lot of thermal energy so if you could controll the reaction and transfer the heat without destroying the heat exchanger, I say yes, you probably could heat water with it. You would probably tend to flash boil it first though.

What you could do is let it heat up the water first then run the resultant steam through a turbine to creat some electricity and then use the left over heat to keep a seperate tank of water hot.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Re: heat water with thermite

Postby rbdx64 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:50 am

The "explosion" that would outcome might simply be the result of the actual thermite causing the drinking water in order to quickly range from the actual solid to the gas state--basically, dispersal of fragments due to fast gasoline growth.

This makes a lot of the thermite to be wasted, as much of the mix is going to be scattered prior to it ignites.

Burning up thermite won't trigger drinking water to split up into it's element elements, air as well as hydrogen.

I am not sure the reason why you may wish to add a binder to thermite, rather than merely limiting it. I've not tried it, but I wonder in the event that mixing it with a bit of dissolved parrafin may work.
rbdx64

Return to Foundries, Smelting & Casting