[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Chemical Reduction Hydrogen Production

Chemical Reduction Hydrogen Production

This forum is for discussions regarding Hydrogen Production by all means OTHER than Electrolysis. It is also for discussing the end results of Hydrogen Applications such as Water Engines & Water Cars.

Chemical Reduction Hydrogen Production

Postby AlaskaStar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 pm

"Do we exist, or are we just an existence?"
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

I would like to clarify something,

Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4) + Zinc(Zn) coated Iron(Fe) = Hydrogen, a form of Zinc Sulfide (is sulfide the right word here?)[ZnSO4], Iron Sulfide (same question)[FeSO4], and Iron(Fe).

Once that reaction is done, then remove the ZnSO4 and FeSO4, and add Ammonia (NH3), and the results will end up with Zinc, Iron, (6)H2, and (2)NSO4.

my question is, once the sulfuric acid reaction has finished, how do you remove the ZnSO4 and FeSO4 from the Fe? or, is it necessary to remove the (Fe) at all? i dont think it would be.

second question. how many parts to each "ingredient"? would one need to use? how strong sulfuric acid, how strong ammonia?
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Zinc Sulfide? NO.

ZINC SULFATE.

IRON SULFATE.

The addition of NH3 or Anahydrous Ammonia, is to recover the iron and zinc from the process to re-use again.

The Zinc and Iron will precipitate out of the bottom of the reaction while the hydrogen will separate out of the top. The Ammonia Sulfate will be in aqueous suspension in the water. Keep in mind that Sulfuric Acid is found in suspension in water.

The whole process happens in water.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby resident_genius » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm

one last question, i apologize in advance for not taking a basic chemistry class before asking questions.

when NH3 is added to the solution, is more hydrogen released?it looks as though it would be released from both the Fe and Zn.

again, i'm not a chemist, but i do understand the basics of chemicals getting transformed.
where is the line between tinkerer and scientist, scientist and madman, madman and genius?

http://resident-genius.com
'Nuff said.

Latest Endeavor:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonG2892?feature=mhw5
resident_genius
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Yes, when the NH3 is added to the ZnSO4 + FeSO4 + Water, the Hydrogen separates and is released, the nitrogen and Sulfur bond with the Oxygen making NSO4, and the Metals are dropped to the bottom.

So yes, in the recovery of the metals, Hydrogen is produced.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Ammonium Sulphate

Postby SeaMonkey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 pm

(NH4)sub two SOsub four
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Hey SeaMonkey!

You are on top of things today!

I however, have spent the day tinkering with unfinished projects...like installing the frame, engine and transmission, steering, and driveaxle assembly under the body of the wife's van. That took 5 hours. I spent the remainder of the day pounding out old wheel bearings with a mega sledge hammer!

I would have some other chemical oddity that would stabilize it further, but right now I am drained for energy....

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:54 am

Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:07 pm

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Too much hydrogen!

Postby mikemongo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:08 pm

OMG!!!

I would love to see too much hydrogen being produced!

Is it OK for me to get a copy?

Better yet, if it's OK with you Alaskastar, maybe could someone put this on their website?(I wish I could but I have no website) The sheeple need to be exposed to all the info they can whether they believe it or not!

Mikemongo
mikemongo

Postby AlaskaStar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:29 pm

See Previous post to receive a copy of the DVD.

AlaskaStar
AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Interesting Patent using Amonium Sulfate

Postby FlashBang » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:38 am

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5135561.html

So, AlaskaStar....

We need a cheap source of Sulfuric Acid and Zinc Plated Iron. The only thing that I am familiar with that is Zinc Plated is nuts and bolts from my local hardware store. Are there other cheaper alternatives?

Now... what to do with the left over Amonium Sulfate? The above referenced patents abstract is pasted here for convenience.

ABSTRACT:
The present invention utilizes inexpensive, low-quality by-product ammonium sulfate (AS) characterized as having poor storage, handling, and use properties and normally unsuitable for use as a solid fertilizer because crystals thereof are very fine and of a undesirably high-moisture content. This invention involves production of high-quality, long-storing suspension intermediates directly from AS slurries or AS crystals, followed by storage of the resulting suspensions as intermediate raw materials, and further followed by production of solution fertilizers from such suspension intermediates. The instant invention provides for: (1) successful storage, handling, and use of a converted low-quality, inexpensive forms of AS, which would otherwise be difficult to handle and use; (2) production of fluid sulfur sources from such converted and stored AS materials for one-third or less the cost of other fertilizer sulfur sources such as ammonium thiosulfate solution; (3) production of solution fertilizers from such intermediates; (4) elimination of the need for costly crystallizer systems normally required for production of AS crystals large enough for satisfactory storage and use as solid fertilizer; and (5) elimination of the need for the costly steps of centrifuging and drying of AS crystals subsequent to their production, which subsequent drying treatment is required to ensure satisfactory storage and subsequent use.

Now, my question is this, you refer to the Amonium Sulfate as being a liquid suspension. Is this the general by-product stage that (4) refers to in the abstract above? Because, in my research on AS... I found references to it being a solid as well. Can it be disposed of or sold readily in the liquid form as soon as the reaction ends? Or does it require some additional refining or drying etc... before it is useful as a fertilizer?

Thanks
FlashBang!
Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby AlaskaStar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:13 am

AlaskaStar
Regular Poster

Postby FlashBang » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Just becuase you are Paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you!
FlashBang
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:53 am

<slaps forehead>

Of course, it all makes sense now!

Ok, let's see if I can jot this down while making sense.

In your old thread you did mention using standard electrolysis as well to augment this process. I'll get to this in a little while.

what seems to be happening here is a bunch of different processes happening one after the other that give us a repetable process as long as we keep up the water.

Ok, after the process you outlined above has happened we get as the end products......

Iron
Zinc
Hydrogen
water
NSO4 (not sure what the name for it is)

now we have no more H2SO4 left so the process will basically stop. But what happens when we put a bit of power to the iron and zinc? Would we then be reforming be reforming the NSO4 back into H2SO4? Would we also end up with a bit of NH4NO3, Ammonium Nitrate, which is used in the Haber-Bosch process with an Iron catalyst which then makes the catalyst rather porus and have a lot of surface area (something else you said back then).

Also during this process, if you put a multimeter across the Electrodes (well the bare metal anyway) would you not get a voltage due to the dissimlar metals in an electrolyte?

Well, I hope I haven't confused you all too much with my mad late night ramblings. It's 1am here and the light bulb flpting above my head is starting to flicker on and off. Meh, Ishould go through that old thread in the morning instead of using my tired old memory.

Good Night.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Hydrogen Production non Electrolytic