[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - "Dirty" kerosene.

"Dirty" kerosene.

Talk about anything at all in this forum. General chatter about anything not related to the rest of the Discussion Board Topics, belongs here!

"Dirty" kerosene.

Postby mael » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 pm

My friend *ahem* putvegetable cooking oil into the kerosene in the stove because he thought it would burn all right.

But it doesn't burn all right. He must have put too much in (3 litres into a 10 litre tank). It might start out OK but the flame soon dwindles and so it stinks.

He figures out if he lets it burn down over ages and ages and adds kerosene in the meantime to top it up then eventually it will come right. But this may very well be a long and smelly waiting period the way things are looking.

Just a thought - Can he thin the kero with some gasoline - say half a litre in the ten litre tank - and this will get it to burn faster?

Of course he should bin the tainted kero and put some good stuff in and fix it that way. But if it can burn the stuff that's in it now then it wouldn't have been such a waste.

He knows gasoline contains poisons so he'd have the ventilation cranked-up until the waft of gasoline had disappeared.
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:51 pm

I would not try it

the gas might seperate from the k1 and oil....boom
all work and no play.....
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby Jehu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:54 pm

Don't put any petrol/gasoline into anything designed for kero. My Nan accidently put petrol into their kero heater once. It promptly blew up and set not only the house but my Mum on fire too. Luckly a passing bus saw the fire and came to the rescue with a fire extinguisher.

Moral of the story.

Don't put petrol in a kero heater.
Jehu
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Yeah I know.

It just seems such a waste. :(
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am

I just thought I should 'close' this.

I did put petrol in the paraffin to see if it would work. The ratio might have been 1 part gas to 7 parts paraffin and 2 parts veg oil.

(Of course) it didn't work out.

I put new good kerosene in, but I also had to take the wick assembly to bits, trim the clogged-ends with scissors and re-mount the wick a little higher than 'spec.'

... It works now. :) I won't try that again.

And my wife tells me the kero heater at home is acting-up. The symptoms are the same as the one I messed-up. And d'ou know what I've done? I went and bought new kero and used the same container which had the oil in. There was about three centimetres of the mix in the bottom of the can and it looks like I've wrecked the wife's one as well.

* Aren't I clever. :D :lol:
mael
Regular Poster

Japanese Kerosene Heaters

Postby SeaMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 pm

When I was in Japan many years ago I was amazed
at the ingenuity that went into developing those
kerosene heaters. A dome is positioned over the
circular wick/burner which assures that any Carbon
Monoxide produced is completely burned off to
Carbon Dioxide; it's a metallic screen shaped into
a dome that covers the wick/burner some distance
above it that glows 'red hot' when the kerosene
heater is functioning normally.

There was also a small parabolic reflector behind
the dome to reflect the infrared rays produced
outward into the room being heated.

Very ingenious! I had not seen anything like those
kerosene heaters anywhere in the U.S.

Yes, sometimes our experiments go awry. How
many times have my 'brilliant' ideas produced
havoc? Well, too many to reveal in number...

Vegetable oil works very well in those small
lamps that are styled after the kerosene lamps
with a wick/burner and a glass chimney, producing
light and some heat. The composition of vegetable
oil is more like that of an 'alcohol' in that it contains
Oxygen as well as Hydrogen and Carbon, so it
tends to burn cleanly from a wick in open air. So
long as the flame is not 'smoky' that is.

Don't give up Mael! To burn the vegetable oil
for heat may simply require a different design
of the burner/dome unit.

Or, perhaps the vegetable oil can be used
directly without mixing with the kerosene. If
you've got an older heater available for
further experimentation you'll find a way to
make it work.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

good to see your still here seamonkey

ive got some questions for you, when you get time
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby SeaMonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:39 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:35 pm

redriderno22
Regular Poster

High Powered Pulser

Postby SeaMonkey » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 pm

RedRiderNo22,

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 am

hummm

let me see if i can find the pic of it

best way to explain

what i cant wrap my head around is how is the 2 M OHm pot coupled with a 47 k resistor can limit the pulse rate on the relay?

it seems to me that the rate would be 60 hertz?

or is that what the SCR does with the DIAC in the switch?

mabe i just have the wrong SCR's

thanks again
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:47 pm

SeaMonkey.

That was very interesting about your take on Japanese kerosene heaters.

I did not know the grille on some of them had that purpose. I ignorantly assumed it was partly for decoration and partly to get more heat out of the fumes, which would be reflected from the parabola behind it, into the room. - Or maybe it had those functins as well as converting the CO into CO2?

The electric fan-assisted heaters are cheap and common here. They have got making them as cheaply as possible down to a 't.' ... You can put a dent in one with your fingernail! - But that's not entirely true. The old ones (over 15 years) are more solid.

- And that's a funny thing - the ones in the shops now will last five years if you are lucky! I donated a 25 year old kerosene fan-heater to my M.I.L. and it's still a goer - I don't think the M.I.L. is much of a goer now though.

Those heaters with the glass chimneys are still very common and are sold alongside the fan versions. They last practically forever - or until the rust eats a hole in the tank. - I'd put a filler in it. But they are cheap and I know people prefer shiny new ones.

But I have discovered how to murder them using cooking oil. But there's no escaping from doing the deed because the whiff gives it away - I mean it's not like getting the life insurance from a drunken husband by injecting an air-bubble in his veins because they probably wouldn't be able to find, or even suspect what really occured.

* What am I talking about? Must be time for sleep!
mael
Regular Poster

The Kerosene Heater Controversy

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Those heaters that I'm familiar with were from
the mid-60's and were so unique that many of
the American families sent them home to family
in the U.S. But, due to certain states having 'laws'
prohibiting the use of kerosene heaters inside
the home (those without chimneys to the outside)
a great controversy arose. The 'Carbon Monoxide'
scare of the sixties!

This eventually resulted in some agency testing
the Japanese Kerosene Room Heaters to
discover that they were fully functional and did
not produce any Carbon Monoxide within the
homes. Therefore, they were eventually approved
and 'legal' in the U.S.

Back in those years there were many, many
household items available in Japan that were so
ingenious and incredibly useful, that were
unheard of in the U.S. Innovation was not a
strong suit for America back in those times.

The first car I bought in Japan was the Hino
Contessa; a small 4 cylinder rear-engine
sedan that even came with a hand-crank
in case of a dead battery. Thankfully, it did
because I had to use it at least once to get
my engine started. The most memorable was
when I was sent TAD to Sasebo from Yokosuka
for about 3 weeks. I left my car in the parking
lot at Tachikawa Air Base near the passenger
terminal while I was in Sasebo, and upon returning
to Tachikawa in the midst of a Typhoon found my
car in a 'lake' of water about 6 inches deep and