[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
OUPower.com • View topic - Heat pump with 'attitude.'

Heat pump with 'attitude.'

Talk about anything at all in this forum. General chatter about anything not related to the rest of the Discussion Board Topics, belongs here!

Heat pump with 'attitude.'

Postby mael » Sun May 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Anyone in the know about heat pumps? Oh good! :D

I have a dehumidifier which isn't working. Everything spins and lights up as it should, but it doesn't dehumidify.

The unit is rated at 400 W and the compressor would use about 350 if it was performing to spec.

I tested the AC current and found that the fan and the circuitry use about half an amp and that when the compressor motor kicks-in the current jumps momentarily but then quickly settles to around two amps. (V = 100).

The current decreases slightly over minutes so I expect this is just the bearings and whatnot getting better as they get warm.

So I'd say the compressor must be pumping air and the R134 refrigerant that it used to pump is now contributing to the alleged hole in the ozone layer.

There is a solonoid valve which (I think) defrosts the radiators. When I apply a magnet to it to activate it I can hear gas and a slight gurgling sound. The very thin copper tube which (I think) acts as a restricting valve gets just slightly cooler than the rest of the pipe but it isn't easy to tell. - But it clearly isn't working.

* If I was getting about 400 W through the meter then I'd assume it was blocked somewhere. But as I'm only getting 200 W I suppose it is just empty. (Tell me).

* And what shall I do with it? I haven't got any R13? coolant and I've never tried to re-fill a heat pump - and there isn't a valve to connect to unless I break the seal on a stray pipe, get the gas in and seal it again. I might manage this but I'm not very confident about it.

And can I use propane or butane and fiddle with the valve so it works?

*** Or should I just take the useful bits off it and not waste my time?
What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Postby redriderno22 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:37 pm

best thing is to just get the parts you want and pitch the rest

you could try to recharge it but they make it hard for a reason :roll:

cant be havin stuff last to long......
all work and no play.....
redriderno22
Regular Poster

Refreigerant re-charging...

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun May 31, 2009 9:42 pm

This topic is right up Alaska Star's alley so I'm sure that as soon as he sees it you'll get some really good info.

Re-charging , if you've never seen it done before, will seem a very confusing and difficult proposition. Fortunately, once you learn how, it's really much simpler than you might have thought possible.
SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Postby mael » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:49 am

What has been won by the brave at great cost can be lost cheaply by fools and once gone can rarely be regained and only then at great cost.
mael
Regular Poster

Sealed Compressor Unit?

Postby SeaMonkey » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Re: Sealed Compressor Unit?

Postby mael » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 am

mael
Regular Poster

Gas Pumps...

Postby SeaMonkey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm

SeaMonkey
Regular Poster

Return to OUPower Pub